grunttin and rattlein in the south

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by quackkillsduxs, Dec 21, 2005.

1. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    anybody wanna put in their advice on gruntting and rattlein down south? I never have been a fan of rattlein but ive done some gruttin.

2. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    It all depends on the buck to doe ratio in your area. If there's noticeably more does than bucks then rattling will be useless because there's no competition between bucks.
    Rattling is a technique used mainly in areas where buck numbers are high and fighting eachother for dominance is the only way to get a mate. I've been very successful with grunt tubes here in Georgia. Fawn and doe bleats work best.

3. bowtech29

bowtech29 New Member

State:
    TN
    The best way to be sure that ratlling and grunting will be worth while in your are is if you hear it going on in your area while you are in the woods and make sure it isnt other hunters doing it. The farm I hunt on has a good ratio and the deer do alot of sparring in early season but dominence is set when the time for breeding comes around, the only deer you will probably get to even acknowledge it is a traveler just trying to sneak a quick boe from the neighboring farm.

4. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    down here in fl. you seldom here of someone rattling as far as gruntingthe only time i use it is if i walking in to my stand and i step on a twig i'll stop and blow and wait a min. before moving again the other is if i see a buck out of shot range i might bleep at him to try to get him a little closer...

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Around here Grunting and Rattling are very effective but I've found that most of it is done very early in the morning around the breakfast table at the hunting camp.Just bring in those platters of fried eggs ,homefries,biscuits and gravy and grits swimming in butter with some country ham and you won't be able to hear yourself think for all the Grunting and Rattling.I'm not sure what effect it has on the deer though.We usually get a few so it must be a positive thing.After dark and supper most southern hunters turn to Snoring and Farting but no scientific studies has been done on those two as they relate to deer hunting. :D :) :p

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I was sitting in the woods one time and another hunter came through blowing on a grunt call. It sounded like a bawling cow that had lost her calf. I just got up and went home. I figure if you don't know how to make the sound properly, you are better off not doing it at all.