Grunting/Rattling

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Believer, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I know young bucks can be scared off by grunting & rattling, but I was wondering if does are scared away also.

Thanks!

Eric

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i carry a primos power buck and doe grunt/bleat tube around my neck when i hunt but i dont use it to call deer in if i dont see any. opening day of shotgun i saw 2 does crossing a field into the thicket across from my stand and i forgot i had the o-ring set at trophy buck for exhale, and mature buck for inhale(this call lets you adjust youngdeer, doe, doe in hea, and muture and trophy bucks) so i could get a good buck in close for a shot if he was to far away. and i grunted(exhaled) a few times and they didnt run they just looked back for a few minutes and then kept going. they were good sized does tho and i dont kno how if this would change with younged more immature does.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i dont do much of either one but i did watch a tv with larry weishem sp?. he does a lot of rattleing and grunt calling in texas. anyway he said if you ever rattle up a doe, then you need to get ready because most likely they will be a mature buck behind her. just makes sense to me. shes close to breeding and the big bucks have done found her but shes still weighing all her odds. i seen him harvest a buck on tv after rattling up a doe. to me rattle is such a small window of time for any buck. once the bucks get with the does you can blow a fog horn and i dont think he will even look up....lol.

4. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    I've actually used different sized antlers and amounts of noise to call in different sized deer. If you use antlers from a large buck and just crash around like you got a snake in your pants you can get the attention of some pretty nice deer. And if you've ever seen big deer fight you can hear and see the amount of destruction they cause, but when you see little bucks fight they will usually just tickle their horns a little bit and not make nearly as much noise. But yes sounding like larger deer will scare most of the smaller deer away, mainly for the same reason you don't bust up in a bar fight between two huge bikers, they do not want a whoopin. Also rattling and calling greatly depends on hunter pressure and buck to doe ratio. But I agree with catfishrus, the does aren't scared away by rattling, after all the bucks are basically fighting over her. Sorry to get so far off your question, I get carried away with these things. Good huntin

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I havent done much rattling and the grunt call I use doesnt seem to scare anything. I have the call on doe grunt so I dont think that counts.

6. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    Brian, have you ever used those doe in estrus cans? I don't really use calls much because I hunt so much public land, but I was just curious to see if they work.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I havent had any luck with the cans only tried once or twice, but a couple buddies swear by them. I dont like them because they take motion to use and I dont want to do that.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im with brian on the can. i dont use them much but i got a buddy that says they are great. hes called in several nice bucks real fast with them but then again it only seems to work in the pre rut.

9. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Theres been days that I havent had ANY response to the "can" and then days that it WORKS! I have had it work later in the year when MOST does have been tended to, and Big boys are cruising looking for ANY signs of a doe that was missed! If movement is a factor(no cover, on the ground,etc) I mouth bleat, and its pretty rewarding to see a deer respond when you call to them!!!:big_smile:

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Cans work great pre-rut.