Grunt Tubes

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Oct 7, 2008.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a friend who swears that a grunt tube used very softly at this time of the year really works. I have tried many different tubes with a varity of frequency and tones but I do not think they actually work that well. what are your thought and how do you employ its use and when.

2. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Some swear by em and some wont use em. Its kinda a toss up. IMO I belive they do work and have had sucess with them but the timing has to be right. The closer to the rut the bigger response you will get from the deer from my experience. It also has a lot to do with your buck to doe ratio. If your does are too plentiful bucks seem to not fight as much and are less aggresive. Just have to give it a shot. By the way i may be wrong but this is just what i have experienced:cool2:

3. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I personally think they work if you use them corectly and don't over do it depending on the time of year.right now in my area i would only want to use a soft grunt and only blow 3 times every 15 minutes or so if you over do it you will run everything off and if you don't use the right sounds for the time of year the deer will know they are not supposed to be hearing for instance, an esterous bleet around my parts right now is a no no.last year around mid oct i was useing a grunt and got several responses even had a buck circle me but i never saw it,when i would grunt it, the deer would respond but it was never in the same place.it started in front of me then on my left,then dirrectly behind me and finally i heard it off in a distance to my right,guess it was trying to get a whiff of what it thought was another deer.i never saw the deer but a friend of mine who was hunting bout 125-175 yards away said he had seen a really nice buck making his way to my stand in the thick stuff making a burping noise,lmao.he wasn't very knowlagible on deer communication sounds but i knew what he was talking bout.anyway i guess the buck stayed in the thick stuff cause i never seen him till oct 27th when i got buck fever and missed him with my bow:sad2:.here is a link to a site about different sounds and when and how to make em.

http://www.pabucks.com/callingwhitetaildeer.html

4. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Forgot,but my favorite grunt calls are the buck roar with the snort/weeze and the true talker which is awsome for a really deep mature buck grunt it also has young buck,doe,and fawn.hope this helps.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive had them work but cant remember what kind it was. I usually lose them so I buy whatever they have on clearance at the end of the year. A few things I think need to be remembered is to not use them too much. Ive had luck using them blind once but I like them more to call towards a sound. I dont count on them but its fun as heck when they actually work and that deer goes right by ya looking for who made that sound.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    You talking a hog grunt?

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well like everybody else i have had my ups and downs with them. I have blind called small bucks in this time of year a few times. I seem to only have real good luck with them though if i see the deer first. I also know that a lot of times deer wont come to them if he doesnt see another buck where the sounds came from, this is why they circle. The best for me is when the rut is just starting and i have a decoy out without its antlers then i grunt the real buck looks up sees a doe and hears his compition close to her man its on. The rattle bag or horns is what ive never had success with, that and the snort wheeze ive tried it with a monster buck before and all he did was run off. As far as time of year yeah earlier in the year softer is better the roars and growls are for peak rut time. Heck just yesterday i called a 4 pointer from around a hundred and fifty yards to about 50 to 60 yards then turkeys ruined the show and scared him off.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This early in the year, using a grunt call can make or ruin a hunt. They still work if used right and sparingly. here's one scenario. say you spot a buck at the head of a rivine looking out over the field wanting to cross. He's not totally sure where he's gonna go. A soft grunt can help sway his decision to come your way. BUT, he's coming in from downwind if he can.
    I say leave the grunting to a very minumun until they're gettin silly over the does. Or you just might run off a trophy buck before you ever get to lay eyes on them.

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use a true talker during rifle season here in Ky.. I only use it then unless I see a coyote then I will use the fawn in distress . We don't have a REAL problem with coyotes where I hunt and keeping it that way . I also hunt rabbits in the same area later in the year and am trying to let the only covey of quail I know of get bigger . My father in law killed a bobcat out of that thicket last year so we try to keep a handle on the predators that we can take legally . Can't save the small game from the hawks and owls tho .