Grunion Out The Wazoo

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by badams, Jun 28, 2006.

1. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Walking my dogs last night on the beach between El Segundo and El Porto
    ( So. Ca. ) the grunion were running like crazy. I've seen allot of grunion runs but never one with the sheer numbers or grunion as large as the ones I saw last night. I bet the halibut were eating till they puked. With so much bait in the water I dont see how you could catch many fish but I was wondering if any of ya'll have ever fished during a run and if so did you have any luck ?
    If a person likes using cut or dead bait then that would have been the time and place to aquire some for free. It wouldnt have been hard to fill up 55 gallon drums catching em by hand.

2. cliffey07

cliffey07 New Member

State:
    Redding, California
    i think its illegal to take the grunion when they are on the beach like that.

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I know nothin about the laws there but I remember (yrs ago) seeing a tv/tape of people grabbing them off the beach to cook and eat?

and as far as; "up the wazoo :crazy:" I know nothin about either. (LOL)
    isn't the wazoo a river in mississipi?
    oops! out the Wazoo, maby thats how they get to salt water?

I had to say thet, the devil made me do it!:lol:

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I went grunion catching back in the early seventies, unbelievable how many come up. We grabbed them off the beach back then. I never thought if it was legal or not. Being from the midwest I figured it was like snipe hunting back here...lol.. leave a poor person standing in a ditch holding a gunny sack then go up a mile to the other end of the ditch and party, while they wait for them to come running down the ditch to them....ROFLOL.