GRRRRR!!!! Poison Ivy already!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by derbycitycatman, May 22, 2009.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Yeap got it already! Nice little swipe above my eye and some small blotches on my arms and legs. So far so good but I think Im justing getting used to it after all the years.:embarassed::smile2:

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I have it again too Brian, third year in a row :angry:. Last year was by far the worst for me, at least SO far anyway.

3. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I was working with some wenge and am still fighting off the rash...never had a reaction to ivy, oak, or sumac though...

4. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    lol man yall are lucky i had my first bit of poison ivy 2weeks after my first fishin trip this year like 2 maybe 3 months ago just hope i dont get it too bad this year usually get it bad enough atleast once a year to go to the dr for shots ugh lol poison ivy sucks but ya gotta deal with it or stick to the house

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I found a product that works really good. Especially if you know you got in contact with the Ivy. Coat the infected area right after exposure and it works great. Even if you don't know it, and find out a couple days later you can still use this stuff.

It's called Tech-nu and any pharmacy will have it. Just rub on the infected area, wait 2 to 5 minutes and rinse off.

6. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Another thing that works good for me anyways is washing with grease cutting dish soap within 45 minutes you can usually prevent it.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Never in my life had a problem with poison ivy or oak until about 4 years ago. I was weed eating wearing shorts, got some open cuts, so the stuff got in my blood stream.

Found this stuff online, 'Zanfel', had to drive 60 miles to get some for at that time it wasn't available locally. It gave me INSTANT relief. It's a soap that you scrub with. Since then I always keep some on hand but have never needed it again.

Later I was telling my Dermatologist about it. He said I wasted my money! He said only a shot would help.... shows he doesn't know everything. :wink:

8. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Sometimes I don't even know I touched it. On my back pack maybe, shoe lace maybe. Never even think I touched any of the stuff ( POISON OAK ). Days or weeks later I'd get it again cause it was on something I used the last time I went fishing.
    NOW Everytime I go fishing. When I return, I have to stand in front of the washing machine and toss everthing washable in to the machine, or the poison will lay on the surface of anything and wait till you make skin contact again.
    If I made skin contact, then I GOT IT. Last about 10 days for me.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Guess Im lucky!:smile2: I can pull the stuff up with my hands and it doesnt bother me. I seen my friends with some pretty nasty cases of it. They wore socks on their hands and everything to keep from scratching it.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

My paternal grandfather was like that CL; I thought I was too until I was 24 years old. Before that I could rub it in my hands, walk barefooted through a big patch (testing 1,2,3 :wink:).

11. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Im 31 and it hasnt bothered me yet, but there is alot of things that didnt bother me that do now!:smile2: So it may only be a matter of time.

12. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Dang good idea! Ive done that when I know Ive been in it, even scrub my boots and laces in the faucet.:smile2: Ive also been known to hop into a pond or grab a bucket and wash off with it. When all else fails the steroid packs or the shot will usually kill it. Ive seen folks with scars from it.:crazy:

Worst case Ive heard of is mom said they had burned some vines and inhaled it. Put a hurting on her lungs. This stuff is called poison for a reason.

You guys that are immune are so friggin lucky!!! Id pay good money for a shot or pill to prevent it for the year!!!!

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Personally Im itching more from mosquitos and ticks, every year they jus seem to get worse. :confused2:

14. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Brian they used to have a shot that prevented one from getting it as i used to get them. you would get anywhere from 1 to 3 shots depending on how bad you got it. the government took it off the market as they said it would hurt your liver but you could get pills with the same stuff in it. just shows the government doesn't know much as the pills would have more of an impact on the liver as anything oral would come in direct contact with the liver as opposed to the shots. to me the pharmaceutical companies were looking to make more money as you had to keep taking the pills for it to work and the shots prevented one from getting it for 2 years. they also said the shots did not work at all. well it worked for me as well as many others.and if it did not work why would you sell a pill with the same ingredients in it then. another lovely side effect of the pills as told to me by a doctor was that when you take a dump or urinate it is very likely you will get poison ivy in those oh so sensitive areas. who the heck wants that. its all a money making operation when it comes to the pharmaceutical companies and they have the government in the palm of their hands with their lobbyists. no one wants to help cure anything anymore they just want to give you something that treats a symptom so they can fatten up their wallets while people suffer.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Bud,I use that Tech-Nu as well,Sometimes it removes every bit of it. Great stuff if you are prone to getting that stuff,I dont get it too bad unless I get scratched by a branch or get the sap on me. I'm glad I dont work in areas that have them nasty plants anymore:wink:

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    IM PRETTY LUCKY I CAN ROLL AROUND IN A CLUMP OF POISION IVY AND NEVER GET IT.MY POOR DAD LOOKS AT IT AND BREAKS OUT.THERE IS SOME STUFF THOUGH THAT WILL HELP YOU TO KEEP FROM GETTING IT LIKE A WASH OR SOMETHING IF YOU GET TI REALY EASY I WOULD USE THE WASH AFTER EVERY TRIP.

17. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    someone posted a product a good while back in the ramblings thread that a state gives to its workers who work around vegetation. its a green liquid that comes in three vials that you drink. they say it works great for prevention. can't remember name of it though. posted in ramblings thread so maybe someone there will remember what it was called and let me know. if i find out i will let you folks know.