growth rate

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Aug 2, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was wondering if theres ny body in the boc that knows there growth rate, they stocked a lake about 8 years ago with blue fingerlings now there averging 15 to 20 pounds, but there are some in the 30 and 40 pound range, so im guesing it depends on how much they eat,but the lake was stocked twice, so the 15s are not as old, they were stocked 6 years ago, so im guesing they get up to 50 pounds in ten to 15 years,:confused2:

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It all depends on so much that it is difficult to determine a precise growth rate..Typically though it takes a blue 5-6 years to get 15-20 lbs in a perfect environment..

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea thats what i thoght, but powertone was stocked ten years back and theres 40s in there now,so i think thats about right,then they stocked it 6 years ago again and there 10 to 15 pounds, i wonder if flatheads groth is slower

4. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Flatheads are about the same as blues..Its the channels that have a faster growth rate..

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what channels, so the bigger fish grow slower

6. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep and thats the reason why they made the channel/Blue hybrid so they could get a bigger fish that grew faster..

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Growth rate is initially slow. Once they hit the size to where other fish become their main diet, growth rates increase exponentially.

Here is a quote from a study done on blues in the James River:
    Tidal James ​
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Blue catfish in these rivers steadily increase in length over a fairly long period of time (through age 15). However, they put on weight fairly slowly for the first several years of life, after which, as fish make a diet shift to larger, energy-rich, prey items, the rate of weight-gain increases dramatically. Blue catfish in the James River attain only 5 pounds on average by age 8. Then, with a rapid increase in growth, they average 10 pounds at age 10, 20 pounds at age 12, and 30 pounds at age 13. Fish in this population are known to reach 50 pounds by age 11, although age 13 – 14 is more typical.

The former state record was 92# and it was aged at 11 years. So growth rates are highly variable.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    anybody ever see them, what do they look like

9. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes I have seen them..They look more like a blue than a channel..The tops of there heads are huge with a sort of crease down the middle hence the nickname "splithead"..They have the same anal fin as a blue too..Some have spots on there sides..We got some from a catfish farm..They can not reproduce in the wild..Channel eggs are fertilized with the blue males and walah you have a hybrid..Some states have stocked some rivers with these hybrids..They are fierce fighters...

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    At Milford blues were first stocked in 1993. The lake record right now is #56 I believe. If that fish was from the first stocking, it would be 16 years old. 40+ pound fish are not uncommon in this lake.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im wondering if this is a hybrid or a straght blue

Attached Files:

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the blues are so much darker in this lake and the heads seem large but the mouth and fin is like a blue, ill bet theese are hybrids, by looking at other blues this thing is not a straght blue,

13. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Don't forget that Powerton is a cooling lake with a warm water discharge. It is also a very small lake, which means that even the opposite end of the lake gets warm from the discharge. The growth rate of catfish under these conditions is not comparable to normal rivers and lakes.

Catfish eat according to the water temperature. Cats at Powerton have a SUPER high metabolism and eat like monsters year-round because of the warm water. I'm certain that they grow much faster there.