growth of blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by misterwhisker, Jan 16, 2009.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    they started stocking my stretch of the river with blues (ohio Racin pool) just woundering how much weight does a blue put on in a years time and so on?? :confused2:

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    The one in my avatar, Earlier last spring I caught the fish off a point it weighed 50lbs, released her and a couple months went bye and bam same point same fish weighed in at 52lb, released her and again off the same point last fall she weighed in at 57lbs and thats my avatar Pic.This one gained 7lbs, hope to have the chance to reel her in again this year.and they get way bigger than that:wink:

To me Blue Cats are the Fresh Water Equivalency of the Great White Shark.
    They are Territorial Beasts,All they do is swim around and eat and eat and eat.:eek:oooh:

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It all depends on the food available and genetics of the fish. The old Virginia state record was less than ten years old and weighed 89 pounds. That said ,,there's plenty of ten year old blues finning around over here that will never make 30 pounds. Depends on genetics. Just like antlers on Deer. Not all 5 1/2 year old bucks are created equal.

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    the food source is there , but if they were to stock lets say 1 lb blues, how long would it take to produce 5 lbers?? i guess what im trying to say is what is the growth rate year by year assuming the food source and genetics are good??

5. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Hey Griz that is good info and makes me feel that CPR is even more important on big fish.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    ".....The one in my avatar, Earlier last spring I caught the fish off a point it weighed 50lbs, released her and a couple months went bye and bam same point same fish weighed in at 52lb, released her and again off the same point last fall she weighed in at 57lbs and thats my avatar Pic.This one gained 7lbs,...."

Flamekeeper, not to burst your bubble, but I don't think blue cats gain seven pounds in nine months. If so, some biologists need to learn of this rapid growth rate. Sounds like you got a good place to catch some nice fish, but I don't think you are catching the same fish. Good job on releasing the fish.

The NCWRC aged some fish from Badin Lake this year utilizing the otolith. A 60 pounder they aged was around 17-18 years old.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We are blessed having what many feel is the best trophy bluecat fishery in the USA here in the James River of Virginia.

We are so spoiled that we whine like babies when we don't go out and catch a citation fish of 30 pounds every trip on the river. I do notice that many people monitor our Virginia boards and I am very proud of that. I do note also as I surf around the BOC looking at other states and threads that many folks ,(Too Many) are showing off their catch hanging in someones back yard, in the bed of a truck, at the store on a hook, someplace where that fish will never grow any larger or swim again. Why are we so blessed in Virginia?,,,,,,,Its really simple,,,,I do not know a single person that fishes the James river for tropy cats that keeps big fish. It is a voluntary catch and release ethic that we all happily live by. Carry a camera at all times or now a days most cell phones take great pictures. CPR all the way friends.

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...We are blessed having what many feel is the best trophy bluecat fishery in the USA here in the James River of Virginia...."

Yes, you are very lucky! I hope to get up there real soon. CPR all of them!! :wink:

9. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I'm not sure enough studies have been made on growth rates for Blue Cats in various parts of the country to say for certian. I agreee that most of what you guys are saying is probably accurate to some degree. I know that the Blue cats Took off around 16 years ago in the Potomac River and last year the Potomac river yeilded acouple fish near 70# and one that was offically weighed as Marylands State record at 67#. Good habitat and good shad or Skipjack populations will result in a faster growth rate. Id say they grow a few #'s a year after a certian age then probably taper off as they get older. And some always seem to grow larger for some reason. Either way they are great sport and I for one am glad to have them where I live:smile2:

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Less mouths at the table makes bigger cats--When intro to new areas growth rates soar when forage is good:wink:

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    What you dont know is It was the same fish.

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats a beauty of a fish my friend, I am also curious on how you know its the same fish? Not doubting it by any means, I can see a blue cat gaining that amount of weight in a short period of time, those things are eating machines. Just was curious if the fish was tagged or what? Way to CPR:wink:!!!

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Depends on genetics.>

EXACTLY why we need to CPR ALL "mega" fish we catch. The lineage of the "freaks", needs to be kept going for as long as the fish lives, and dies a NATURAL death. There is absolutely NO reason that "mega" fish should be kept. They are not table worthy, and that is the only reason any cat should ever be kept.

Bill in SC

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Good ?,,It has a broken over dorsel fin, one missing whisker on the left side,and when you catch a fish like that you do not forget,:wink: What are the Odds of 2 fish swimming around in the same weight class with the same wounds?.
    I'll look and see if I can find a couple of pics that match the fish at the seperate times it was caught.

Fish and game has already said that the weight gain varies across the nation.In the link that grizz posted.
    A flathead here in Ky can gain 5lbs a yr if he eats right:eek:oooh:So 7lbs ain't nothing in my eyes. Shoot that fish could eat 5lbs a food a day LOL,,

15. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I catch some of the same flats in the same area every year. Its nice to catch the same one you have caught before and see how big it has got there are some monsters where I fish. Im waiting to get that flat over 60#. I know hes there Ive got him to the boat but havent landed him yet. I think a flat caught in spawn and then one caught later in the year will put alot of weight on. Its like when you catch a big bass in the spring and they have been in spawn and there head is really big but they dont have the weight that they do in the fall with the exception of the big females full of eggs.

16. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia

Thanks for the info

17. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....Its nice to catch the same one you have caught before and see how big it has got...."

How do you know it is the same fish? :eek:oooh:

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Some numbers from TX Parks and Recreation:

121.5 TX (Splash-former world record)....23-25 years-old
    92 pound VA Former Record...12 years-old
    110 pound fish from TN...19 years-old

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State: