Growth limit of channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by tomcat85, Sep 9, 2007.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Anyone know how big they can get??

2. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    WR channel i believe is in the 50ib range, but there are some people out there who clame it was a blue/channel hybrid,

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Heres a short clip. of the Ictalurus genus of American catfishes, channel catfish have a top-end size of approximately 40-50 pounds (18-23 kg). The world record channel catfish weighed 58 pounds and was caught in 1964 in the Lake Marion, South Carolina. . Most for me have been in the 3-5lb range if I catch an 7lber on up i am doing the catfish dance. :eek:oooh:

4. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    The world record channel catfish weighed 58 pounds and was caught in 1964 in the Lake Marion,South Carolina.
    kentucky state record,
    Estep landed the new state record channel catfish, a 32 pounder that was 39 and one quarter inches long with a girth of nearly two feet. Estep subdued the fish after fighting it for nearly ten minutes with his Zebco 33 and 10-pound line. The huge fish fell for a nightcrawler.

5. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Kinda like Angel... mostly 3-5 lbs for the channels for me.

Dave

6. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And I thought 14 lbs. was big...I guess I need to keep trying...:eek:oooh:

7. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    As most people know the channel catfish has been misidentified for years. Many states records are actually blue catfish, and in some cases even flatheads. Some states have began decertifying their records because of this, and are going through the rigorous process of scrutinizing the photos of past records. The world record channel if you look at the photo appears to have a strait tail fin, that would mean it is not a channel or a blue. It may have even been a hybrid of some sort, but in most cases I think that channel cats are under the 45 to 50 lbs range. The state of North Carolina decertified the record from previous years, and because of that myself and John Davidson have both held the record for channels since that time. I hope that other states will look a little closer at their records so that more anglers can get the recognition that they deserve.

8. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You be the judge!

Attached Files:

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    look at the line where the pic ends. thats not its actual tailfin.

10. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree the photo looks altered either to remove some sort of sign or something, but without the full photo you really can't tell. I guess we will never know.

11. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've caught channels upwards of 20#'s. My best is taken out of small creeks, and it was 19 lbs i had to take a picture of it so people would believe me, on cut creek chubs large ones, So around here im really not sure i do believe the state record is 36 lbs.

12. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Here is a quote from Robert Stevens, a former fisheries biologist, concerning the 58 lb. world record channel cat from Santee Cooper. The quote came from an In-Fisherman book. "I sent a 55 gallon drum of catfish of various sizes(from Santee Cooper) to a catfish expert at the Smithsonian Institute for positive identification. He said they definitely were channel cats, but probably deserved a sub-species ranking because they were different from channel cats sampled elsewhere in North America." So it looks like this was a type of channel cat. The 58 lber was caught when the Santee Cooper impoundments were about 20 yrs. old, so it had time to grow big on abundant new forage fish. Channel cats will never get that big there again because blues and flatheads began to be stocked there in 1966(there were none there before), thus changing the fishery. The same thing happened to Channel cats on the Altamaha River in GA were the state record channel cat of 44lbs. 12oz. was caught in 1972, and after that flatheads got in the river and changed the fishery.(83 lb. state record flathead caught in Altamaha last year). What's crazy is that in 1956 creel census checkers at Santee Cooper reported a 78 lb. channel cat. Hope you guys like the info.

13. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Another thing I would like to add to the post below is that channel cats don't get nearly as big as they probably could in waters where they live with blues and flatheads because they are out competed for food by their larger cousins(and even eaten I guess). However, blues and flatheads are not native to rivers that drain into the Atlantic from Florida up the East coast(even though blues and flatheads are there now from legal and illegal stocking). Two of the largest southern Atlantic river basins are the Altamaha and the Santee Cooper system. This is probably why Channel cats used to get so big there(they were top dog then), but Channels won't get that big in those systems ever again.

14. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    So what your saying in la-men terms is that, the reason I'm catching the large channels out of these small creeks and watershed, is because the fact that they are top dog. So would this mean that this is where the possible state record could come from? I mean i couldn't believe the size of these channels i was catching outrageously large channels upwards of 20 #'s

15. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Maybe a record could come from there, But I doubt it because top end size could also be limited because of the small stream size. I think generally big fish come from big water, but there are few big lakes or rivers left where channels aren't competing with blues or flatheads, but you never know.

16. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well there not stream per-say, but there nice size creeks, that run off one of Ohio's healthiest lakes. I know of another lake or two lakes that are only channels.

17. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    For years friends and I have speculated that this fish may have been some sort of hybrid, or that it was caught when there was no competition for the channel to get that large. Thanks for the information!

18. darinspawn

darinspawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    there is nothing faked in the pic on the one post. there is a whole picture if you check on a site featuring all world record fish.

also , I do agree with the idea or claim that catfish do get larger if their cousins (flats and blues) aren't around.

I live in ND and fish the Red River almost daily during summer and fall. I have landed alot of 25# + fish regularly and even landed 40 and 41.5" last year. one of these may have been the new record but I didn't have anything to keep them alive in . I don't believe in killing these big fish so friends witnessing and being there for measure will have to be enough for now.

ND record is 33.4 lbs (39" long 27.75 girth)
    mine 41.5 long 29.5 girth

keep fishing . they will come when you least expect it.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    In reading studies about catfish, I've found several interesting facts:
    1. Given enough food, catfish will continue to grow till they die.
    2. Channel cats grow best at 85 degrees; any colder or warmer slows down growth.
    3. A catfish in good conditions can grow as much as 400 times as much as a cat under poorer conditions.

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think the world record channelc at is a blue cat, but that is my opinion. Every other world record catfish has several that are within a few pounds of it, but no channel cat has ever been caught that comes close to that fish.

The best channel cat fisheries have only channel cats in them. Once you add blues and flatheads the competition for food starts to limit their growth. Over population is another factor that limits the growth of giants. There is a mgic combination of factors that allow big cats to grow.