Growing old or older

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mac-b, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    A young whipper snapper asked me the other day how it was to be old.

You know, here I am getting ready to turn 70 and I had not really thought about it. When I was in my twenties, I was of the opinion that people in their late 50's and 60's were old. So, I guess I now think that people in their 80's and 90's are old.

This I do know, as you grow older, it is easier to be postive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong. So, to answer the young fellows question, I like being old, if that is what I am. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting whatould have been, or worrying about what will be.

My mission now is to fix supper at least four times a week, share my knowledge with those that want it, have a movement every morning, enjoy my green tea, cherish my naps and every now and then, kick some young fellows butt in a catfish tournament.

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well said Mac age is really just a number and for fear of sounding cliche your only as old as you feel. You should have wacked him in the head with your fishing rod and then said "I dont know but i bet it feels better than that":crazy::wink:

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know when I was young ...I couldn't wait to grow up. Now that I'm grown up...I wish I was a kid again. Well not really a kid again...I just wish that I knew then what I know now. I have a great life with a great wife and 2 great children. Some of my fondest memories were watching them grow up and teaching them to fish and to hunt. They have made me a proud pappa..when I see them and the fine young people they have grown up to be. I guess I can always teach grandchildren to fish... if I ever get any...LOL.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    AMEN BROTHER . YOU CANT WAIT TO BE 16 THEN 21 , IN YOUR 30 S YOU ARE BULLITT PROOF, AT 50 YOU START TO SLOW DOWN A BIT, AT 60 YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT OUT LOOK & AT 70 I GUESS ITS TIME TO KICK BACK & NOT WORRY !!! :wink:

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hey Mac. That movement ya are talkin about in the mornin. Are ya talkin arms and legs. LOL!

Great post!!!!!!!

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm with you Mac!
    I been pushing that age figure up for years. Now darn it, I know 80 is OLD! :wink:

But you know what... I doubt either of my daughters or granddaughters could keep up with me walking. :0a10:

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brother George, you have to get the arms and legs working first so you can get a spot of tea or cup of coffee and then mother nature takes care of the next movement. If everything moves at the right moment, you know you are going to have a good day. Know what I mean?

8. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    the older i get the smarter my daddy was !:eek:oooh:

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When that cute little waitress starts callin' you honey, darlin', sugar, you know you're getting old...:smile2:

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Damn Jeb, you busted my bubble. I thought I was maybe startin to get better looking...thanks..:wink: