Growing blackberries

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by coorsdrifter, Dec 25, 2006.

1. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    Could anyone tell me the best location to grow black berries?

2. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    around here it would be anywhere there is dirt, LOL! But seriously, full to partial sun,well drained soil, very drought tolerant but thrives when moisture is regularly available and acidic soils are a common place to find them.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's farms here that grow a thornless breed in full sun and well drained soil/sandy, cause that's all we've got.

As far as wild blackberries go, I've found the biggest and best in nearly full shade. Vines laying on the ground near big trees.

4. mskittyfish

mskittyfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Here in Texas we do not "grow" blackberries. They are SO abundant, we just drive down a back road and pick all we want. LOL. In fact, they spring up all over..in the middle of the yard, etc. and can be a nuisance. I will tell you though, that they are delicious if we have enough rainfall. If you study Texas soil, that should tell you alot. It is mostly sandy, clay and dry. We get torrential rains when it does rain, but then it dries up quickly as drainage is good. Go from there and you should do well. Good luck!

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I planted four thornless blackberry plants three years ago in my front yard they were doing great till my thoughtfull neighbor mowed my weedsin the yard but luckily they did come back last summer with some pampering i hope to pick some this year our soil is a sandy-loam type they do well in it even for the southwest

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Would be nice if all blackberry's where thornless.

7. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Funny that this post should start now. I am thawing our 3 gallons of blackberries to make jam right now.

I have the hemolayian blackberries that get as big as your thumb...but have thorns half the big. I have found birds caught in my blackberry vines that's how big the thorns are.

I do know that the thornless blackberries are not a sweet as the regular berries. Also the limbs of your vines that produce berries this year will not produce the following year. They have to have new vine limbs to produce berries...this is why every 3rd year I cut my vines back to about 18" from the ground...this way I get rid of all old growth vines. The first year after I did this of course there was no vines for berries....but the next year I got over 15 gallons off a streach of vines about 8 foot long...only 5 plants.

I have a section of my back yard fenced off even with the front of my garage. There is a short section of fence connected to the garage then a gate then about 15 foot section going to the property line...this is where I have my blackberries planted. This way I can pick from both sides of the vines and still be in my yard.

The only thing I do is keep the grass cut close to the vines and water them good after they start producing berries. Then I pick evey morning and every evening..otherwise the birds get more berries than I do.

Jesse

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have found out that they will grow good any where there are Chiggers(Red Bugs to you country Folks )Or is it that they come to the Blackberrys:look_down:

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thornless blackberries not sweet? You never ate the berries grown at Indigo Farms NC.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Besides Jesse's jam, I've got another purpose for those delicious fruits.

Coorsdrifter, what're your plans for the berries?

Attached Files:

11. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    That's what I'm talkin bout. Mmm Mmm Good.

12. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Here is a good nursery that is offering thornless blackberry plants for $1.50 each..then some a lot more costly.

Gurneys.com [offers@gurneys.com]

BobPaul I do love Blackberry cobblers but I can make a lot of seedless jam from my berries.

It's hard to beat seedless blackberry jam on biscuits in the morning..wife even puts it on sausage & buscuit.

I catch the Marie Collander's pies on sale buy one get one free for my pie eating.

Jesse

13. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    That looks so good.