grouse tips

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by misterwhisker, Nov 14, 2008.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    any grouse hunters here,i need tips on hunting with out a dog,its usally late in the season when i go for them and my prefered method is a lil snow on, and tracking them,ive seen that once you find tracks that they arent far in front,just gota move slow and shoot fast

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I never hunted Grouse but have Chukar. If there anybit the same, hunt downhill from them. Chukar love to fly downhill which makes for a hard shot unless you are down hill from them. Hope this helps.

3. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i hunt grouse every now and then , i find the best spot's to be on the ridge of canyons , aspen patches by rock cropings and sage hill's by cricks .
    sometimes i catch them in ponderosa and pine patches in the dark timber .

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I hunted ruff grouse in WV growing up and would guess that is what you are talking about . Here are some suggestions . Ruffs like to fly up hill . Once you find them you will know about how far up they are holding . Find a couple of buddies and patches of cover . Clearcuts , old strip jobs . old homesteads abandoned orchards . Pending on how late the season is open ( haven't hunted grouse in a few years ) might here drumming of males in Feb . if the season is still open .Put on your walking shoes and be prepared for a LOONNNGGG day ! Give up smoking , Ruff hunting will take it out of you . Don't be discouraged if you don't jump many or kill any .Ruffs are cyclic and have hi's and lo's in local populations . Ruffed grouse are one of the most challenging things to hunt and your making it even tougher without a dog . Good luck and be prepared to rest afterwards . Most of all enjoy being out there ! Also look for wild grapes and briers !

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I could not have said it better myself Lance
    Will add one thing They will get an obstruction between you and them whether it be a tree vines or the like. If hunting them in mountainous terrain they can be jumped time after time some times at the same elevation.

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You got it now I get to add something:wink: ! You will be breathing hard ,your gun barrel hung in grapevines and briars clawing on every exposed patch of skin and ... The grouse sat tight let you walk past him and he back flushed ! Hopefully the grouse is half drunk on fermented grapes but that is a story in it's self !

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    DOn't forget the one that flushes just as you get a staddle the old fence. They always come out behind ya. Take some extra undeis they come up like a buzz bomb when ya least expect them. I never could hit one on the rise now after they level out and start sailing is a different story.

8. grouse & britt

grouse & britt New Member

State:
    Pa.
    try scouting in the spring while birds are drumming you can here them from several 100 yrds away , fall & winter hunting locations should be
    within a few 100 Yrd of where thay were drumming from depending
    on habitat , plan your day & move from hot spot to hot spot just like runnin & gunning dont waste a lot of time on unproductive areas hoping to get lucky:wink: