Grouper Fishing

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by JAYNC, Sep 21, 2005.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I am going out deep sea fishing in about 2 weeks, and was wondering if anyone knows specific techniques for catching big groupers. Last time I went there were some caught but not any big ones. I heard that grouper can see line very well and are shy about biting when they can see it. I read somewhere that if you use flourocarbon that it will entise more strikes. What is the preferred bait for these fish. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Jay we use small live crocker for bait fished just off the bottom. And hold on tight because when they get hooked they run stright for cover.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I will keep that in mind, how do they hold up on a 2 hr trip in a baitwell

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    We use a 33gal trash can as a bait well but they hold up great no problems at all as long as you keet the water moving.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've only been once,on a head boat.Used frozen sardines.They hit them pretty well,but most were an inch or two short.(think they had to be 22?)

The main thing I learned is,if you even think you have a hit,yank that sucker and reel!!!Even a small one will bury in the rock and make it impossible to get out.Some people would break off,re-rig,and be back fishing in 10 minutes.Others would keep pressure on the line and twang(strum?)the line,trying to agitate the fish out.Sometimes it worked,mostly just used up valuable time.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I never tried using croakers, but had lots of luck with pinfish. Going out the day before the big trip is a great time to take the family along; very much like a bream fishing trip. We weren't able to take anything out on the boat as large as a plastic garbage can, so we used a 40-quart cooler. To aerate the water, I put a bilge pump on the bottom of the cooler, then added pvc pipe running around the bottom to make a base, then up over the water, just below the lid. I drilled some holes so that the water would squirt out of the pipe back into the surface of the water. After several moves and 20 years, the pvc got broken into pieces, so I'm going to have to replace it; when I do, I'm going to try using some spray nozzles like those you see on a sprinkler system to water a bush.
    If you like the idea of using a plastic garbage can, I was looking at them at Wal Mart a few weeks ago, and noticed that they had a 26-gal and a 32-gal that were made very similar in shape in size; one was just a little larger than the other. Sure enough, the smaller one fit very nicely down into the larger one, leaving a space between that could be filled with foam insulation such as Great Stuff.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I feel for you,I'm getting older and may have to try that also.My wife may appreciate it!!

J.K.-:):)Thanks for all your posts JTREW,I've learned a lot from you.

8. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    best abit of nc is live b liners. you can catch them while bottom fishing. if he is a little under size, cut on side off and back to the bottom. big old fish cant wait to eat him. i give you some more info when you come in this week see you soon man.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You want to watch cutting a fish and putting it back in the water. While it may make a great bait, it also may attract sharks. If you're fishing from your own boat, or even one that you've chartered for your own private use, the decision is your alone, but if you're on a partyboat (headboat), I can guarantee that other folks won't like sharks coming around scaring the fish they've paid money to catch.

10. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Also if your caughtcutting a udner size b-liner it could cost you up to $500 in fines.

11. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    we cut the ones that are very close or are in the size limit. not many sharks caught when we do this. and the groouper are very nice we have caught. i try to find pics of them soon.

12. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Joe I for one don’t want to start some trouble or see some one get it trouble. I am not sure about up there in NC but here they can and will put you in jail for using a under size game fish for bait as well as take your boat, car/truck and all your gear. There are laws for a reason and not just for the fun of it. I cannot speak for others here but can speak for my self. I do not and will not condone the use of under size game fish for bait and would advise you not to as well, specialty in a open form such as this. What you have done here is admit to using a under size game fish and that can get you into trouble. This site is for viewing by all the world and if a NC game warden decided to hold your feet to the fire he could use this post to do it. Just a little food for though.

13. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i am not saying to us an under size on either. but the ones right at the line will shrink in a cooler and those are the ones we use. cause if you go back to dock with them and are checked some fish will shrink some and the will ticket you for it. never did i condone useing under size. that both hurts the population and species. dont get me wrong ok. did not mean to come out saying to use small fish. sorry if it did come out that way.

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I think I will just use the boston mackerell that they provide on the charter, except I will use a flourocarbon leader instead of normal line so they wont see it. As far as something illegal, I have been out on those boats a lot and if someone was using something the wrong way or using something they werent sopposed to the mates would let you know in a hurry. I think I am going to try some eels this next time, I hear they work well in the ocean.

15. Pferox69

Pferox69 New Member

State:
    Bartow, Florida
    We always cut the backbone out of a larger pinfish, and the red and gag grouper love it.
    We catch em onsite with a SIBIKI rig, sometimes have to tip the hooks with small pieces of shrimp. Grunts work good too.
    Big baits usually are the way to go, let em eat the bait, and when you feel em pullin, just start reelin in, don't jerk the hook cause they are soft lipped and you can pull the hook right out of em.
    We run with a charter out of Clearwater a couple times a year, about 25 miles out, and when they are closer, about 4 to 5 miles out one of the gang has a 20 sumthin footer we use.
    Buy a grouper rig, and then build others like it, you will have better luck that way.
    If you were able to look around, there are shark all over where you are fishin, I wouldn't worry about drawin shark, cause they are good eatin too.

Good luck, I can taste the fried grouper saniches already.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Since I moved from Florida, I've heard about some rocky areas in only 15' of water near shore up above Anclote Key, maybe up toward Cedar Key that's supposed to be excellent grouper fishing in winter.

17. Pferox69

Pferox69 New Member

State:
    Bartow, Florida
    Yea I heard that too, we get some nice Gags on the debris fields over on the Skyway Pier in St Pete, when it gets cold, proly 10 to 20 feet deep.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I lived there in Pinellas County from 1978 to 1983, so I was there when the bridge got knocked down. They still hadn't made it into a fishing pier by the time I left. Or cleaned up Tampa Bay. We didn't fish the bay much when I was there; we fished mostly up near Anclote Key, and the Intercoastal.

19. Pferox69

Pferox69 New Member

State:
    Bartow, Florida
    We fish the intercostal once in a while, but the Skyway pier is very convient, you can park your vehicle right where you want to fish, and you can even chose what depth range you want to fish.
    It is actually a great memorial to those who died there.
    As a matter of fact, FWC is going to put a plaque on both sided of the Pier.

20. slimy

slimy New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Il
    Jtrew I lived in Largo when the bridge went down, we fished the bumbers at Gandy and Skyway all the time and hit the weed flats for Trout and Snook.I fished Big Indian Rocks fishing pier before it got torn down in hurricane Elena now that was some good fishing .Slimy