GROUNDHOGS

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by bw69r, May 9, 2008.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    My father has a little garden that he plants green onions and tomatoes in right in front of house. neighbors have an in ground pool with a pool house and wooden fence around it (they don't really take care of the place very well as fence and pool house is in disrepair as none of the wood used was treated and inside fence weeds and ivy are every where) and all kinds of animals are living underneath all of it(racoons, rabbits, oppossums, groundhogs,skunks.) the groundhogs get in garden every year and hammer the tomatoes and eat the tops off of green onions. he put up a fence and they dig under it no matter how far down in ground he puts it. we have trapped them but there seems to be a never ending supply of ground hogs under that pool house and they still get in. he has tried putting mothballs all around fence of garden and inside as well and that did not work. tried putting ammonia around fence and that did not work. do you folks know of anything that will keep them out. any help would be appreciated. neighbors are supposedly going to tear everything down and get rid of pool but the way they are that might be years from now. also we are in a small town and shooting them is not an option(houses too close, too many kids running around, and illegal to discharge firearm in town). again any help would be welcome.

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    [youtubevid]z96JvhPdE6o[/youtubevid]
    [youtubevid]tjdky7hBp-E[/youtubevid]

Who are you going to call, RODENATOR

3. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Welsh Corgi ought to do the trick!

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Did y'all know groundhogs can climb trees? :eek:oooh:

I sure didn't realize that, but they showed a pic of one way up in a tree the other night on the news.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    will. let me be the first to say thanks on the vids. awesome. glad i dont have one. mice. well ide have blown my house down lmao.

im a firm believer in quick dispatching of animals. my first rabbit i went t kill in my domesitc farm was gonna be a hammer. couldnt do it. had to use .22 rifles.

that sure looks like a quick killer for pests. well when they found saddam in his hole i said they should have given a granade to him.......- the pin. been the same result but spent money on the trial.

that sure is effective. and no need to bury them. i would be digging holes if i had one.:smile2:

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Jeremy, it's basically an Oxy/Acetylene torch converted to use an Oxy/Propane(5%/95%) mix with piezo ignition.
    It's a fast and humane killer. A thermobaric weapon designed for gophers.

It's real easy to use, just put the nozzle in the hole and let the gas flow for 45-60 seconds then ignite.
    A rancher that I worked for years ago had the Rodenator 2000, and it was fun to use. Use to drive over 10,000 acres to find gopher mounds to use it on.:big_smile: Had a couple of holes that barely made a noise, but did shake the ground.
    As to use around a house, I'd use a short burst(20-30sec) instead of the full 60 seconds.

There's no harmful chemicals used, so it can be used in/around Organic farms/gardens.
    It collapses the tunnels, harder access to new invading gophers.

If I ever get back into ADC, this is one of the first tools that I would get.

:004:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya oxygen and gas makes a good bomb. takes our cars to 200+mph. i would have to much fun with that. i ment sticking it in a crack in the house and blowing mice up. prob aint good aroung 50 year old wood.:smile2: