Groundhogs, have got to go....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Salmonid, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    anyone have any tried and true ways to eliminate such critters? Forget shooting them, to elusive, too close to the house ( actually along the house in some places) Id like to bait them to live traps and turn them loose in Mellon's Backyard, :p :p

Anyone ever baited for them before and what types of flowers, veggies do they prefer?

Im also open to other ways ( Dog Poppers, smoke, canistering, percussion booms, etc)

Thanks, Salmonid

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    reminds me, anyone ever use chipmunks, roadkill or cut groundhogs for bait?? Sounds corny and far fetched, which is why Im bettin someone on here has already tried it:rolleyes:
    Salmonid

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Quarter sticks work pretty well or you can smoke them out of the hole!! LOL just kiddin Not too sure since I have always just shot them. Hope you get rid of the little devils though. Maybe do those mole type traps work?

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ive only seen the Mole type traps big enough for Prairie dogs not ground hogs, these guys are big and chubby, about 15-18 lbs I guess! But Im open to try anything first. Id prefer to live trap and have a wooded lot near a creek on my buddies place where he said I could plant them about 2 miles away from my house.

Salmonid

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Archery equipment works well and its a heck of a hunt. good to keep your stalking up to snuff for deer season

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have a friend that had holes close to the house and took and rag and soaked it with gasoline and threw it in the hole and the groundhog came up and he shot it. But I have seen some people just put a garden hose in the hole and get him out or it will drowned him. I like the archery idea better. I could use my bowfishing bow and it would be like fishing in the yard...lol

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    shrapnel grenades
    flamethrower(bill murray in caddy shack)
    napalm

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mark,

Its hard to beat a good dog! When I was a kid and we moved to the farm our dog killed about 2 dozen that first summer! No joke!! After that, she kept them in check until we fixed all the fences. Then, once she couldn't get to them anymore, the population started to increase again. Ole' Marta was a Norwegian Elkhound. Since Marta, my parents have had Border Collies which do OK -- they're pretty sneaky & very fast but haven't had the killer instinct that Marta did.

9. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    I think I like the live trapping and relocating to Bryan's idea best. Hehehehe

Mike

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I hear old "Captain and Tenille" records work very well at driving Groundhogs (and all other living creatures) from your property, not really sure why :rolleyes:

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    there are some good varment bullets out there that fragment after impact..22 short is a good round in close quarters. oh yea your going to love this . ground hog is very tasty meat. taste like squirrel.try one in the smoker.

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    A subsonic .22 round does good too depending if you can get away with it in your area.

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    we had a guy use poison to kill some in his garden and he killed 4 dog, he went to jail .

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    TRY GOING TO CONSRVATION DEPT AND ASKING FOR HELP. THEY SHOULD KNOW AN EASY WAY.:confused:

15. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Mark,

To tell ya the truth, I wish I had your groundhog problem. I'd buy one of those high-power pellet rifles with a scope from Bass Pro and start working on my sniper skills. Maybe get some real good cammo so I could inch up close and personal then WHACK... one shot, one kill!!!

All I have here is moles and voles. Bad as my eyesight is getting, I'd have to blow some big bucks for a scope with a 10x magnifying lense and still have to get right on top of'em. Groundhogs would sure even the field a bit. :thumbsup:

Mike

16. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i love those connibear traps. jess is right forget the .22 short go with the conniebear.i use to trap beavers with conniebears.

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark,

Give me a call, we can trap them out. I shoudl eb able to get enoguh live traps. (Then we'll take them out in the country & shoot 'em) Just kidding.

18. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys, all good info, a couple of reasons why I cant do certain things, first of all I have a 96 year old celler that is always wet, Id hate to pump water down along the house as 2 of the dens are under the front porch as it would certainly end up in the basement. Same with explosions, Id hate to see some sort of ripple effect too close to the house. Now these bastards have chewed through Lattice and have a safe haven under the deck, and I have never seen them out of the area but see tracks where he has moved my mulch etc. Another thing, is this under the house could be.. a skunk, never seen that one but it appears to be living in a ground hog hole, by my barns is definately ground hogs, Ive seen them. Im still looking at the live traps since Id hate to kill a skunk, or local cat. Better to trap and then take to Mellons place late at night. Heck his kids would love to play with the wildlife of the black & white striped kitties.;) Maybe Ill trap some big black snakes from my barn and turn them loose over there also, Ill put him right in the bait tank:p

So, anyone here got any live traps, ( Bryan, Dink, Nate, Chubba, anyone??)
    I still think its my best bet.

Salmonid

19. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry Mark, I can't help with any traps. I have lived in an apartment for the last 8 years or so. I haven't ever needed one.

When I was i kid though, I used to make rabbit traps in my backyard. Grab a big box. Prop it up with a stick connected to some fishing line. Once one goes under the box, pull. As you can tell, I'm not much help for trapping. :)

20. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Mark

I can relate to your groundhog problem, I have done battle with them for
    30 years. Years ago I used my pet rifle ( 270 Win ) to take care of them,
    the past few years have brought in more house and it is to dangerous. I have used a 12 Gage as recent as two years ago, does a nice job. I have read some of the other posts and with some I can agree. Personally I have
    tried Castor beans, fire, commercial poison bombs, carbon monoxide, and
    drowning. All the methods I have tried have given mixed results, the problem is you can rid yourself of one maybe two animals, but to
    eliminate the problem completely is to re-think your approach to ridding
    your property of these animals. Take a look at your property, locate where they are and how did they get there, are they under out buildings
    or do they come from larger fields or other areas that provide cover for
    them to move without being seen.

This is my approach, keep all of the outlying portions of your property mowed, high grass and weeds attract groundhogs. If you have outbuildings
    you will have to kill every one under it, then install a good quality fencing
    product around any the building burying it at least 24 inches, then back
    fill. They won't be able to get back under the building. Fences only work
    when installed tight to the ground, but then if not kept tight to the ground they dig under them. The last tip I can give, and one that has
    proven to be the best defence is install an electric fence at the height of
    6 inches above the ground, above that another strand at 12 inches above
    the ground. I installed mine on my chain link fence, in the direction of the
    source of travel...in my area it is a low lying field with woods behind it. You can also just use the fiberglass polls and insulators that are made for
    this type of poll. TSC carries these items as do other farm related companies. The fencer itself is not really that expensive, when installed
    this will keep out the groundhogs and keeps raccoons out of the corn patch.

The installation can be done in an afternoon, i would suggest if you decide
    to try it, place some yellow plastic construction tape on each wire run to let the kids know where it is. Nothing is perfect but its the best I've come
    up with, also amusing to watch the neighbors cat heading for your garden to do his dirty work only to touch his nose on one of those yellow tape
    markers...didn't know a cat could jump that high...LOL