Groundhog's Day on the James

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Since I got blown out this weekend, I decided today was the day. Warm weather, light breezes, and best of all, my Va Wildlife Calendar had a big old good fishing symbol on today's date. I launched a Deep Bottom at 11:00.

Bait was easy. One set of the net 20 minutes gave me about 40 big Shad. I released all but 10 to catch another day. First set up I lost a medium fish that wrapped me on something. I never saw it. I ended up breaking it off. Oh well, Second spot was a hog of 63 pounds. Third spot gave up a 20 something I didn't bother to weigh. fouth and fifth spots were new spots prospecting, looked good but no bites. Last spot was back near the ramp and gave me a 40 pounder. I fished by myself today. Josh inspired me to take my camera manual and learn to do the timer pictures. Very easy. I wish I would have read the book before.

Water temp was 41 degrees. I only saw three boats today. Anybody hear how Oran's Ternament went yesterday?

Attached Files:

2. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Nice job Keneth, I was wondering all day about what it would of been like to have called in sick.

Thanks for the shots, good photography.

3. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good job Kenneth, I was thinking about you Sunday as we were spinning in the wind.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Man, what a fat fish! Great job Kenneth. Double/Triple/Quadruple secret spots produce any today? lol

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Great fish. Thanks for sharing the pics and story.

Tom

6. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    Awesome catch, Thanks for the information on the pm.

7. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    nice fish kenneth. i am trying to get my boat ready to bring up that way. should be soon. put a big kenneth sign on the side of your boat so i can mark your spots when i pass lol. my old boat does not have a drive on trailer but i have a salvage boat that has a trailer that i think will work. just have to take the motor off and haul boat to the landfill then i can try the trailer out. i want to be able to launch and load my boat solo. right now it takes 2 people. thanks for the report.

8. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's good to see the big ones, I'll bet it was nice on the water.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hear ya, Kenneth!!!!!!!!!!! Always gratifying to catch nice fish alone. Reps out to you!

Bill in SC

10. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Very nice fish...thanks for sharing!

11. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Real nice BLUE, Thanks for sharing

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Well, Kenneth, I'm glad that's you doing all that work and not me...

I'm afraid my back couldn't take haulin' those hogs around like you are doing there! :roll_eyes:

Thanks for a great fishing report!

13. stringbean

stringbean New Member

State:
    va
    i am new to fishing the lower james, what area do you generally fish at and what a great day

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man, I'm stuck in the house for the next couple weeks and you guys are tearing them up!! Wish I was there:smile2:

15. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Nice fish and great camera work!

16. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Great job and report Kenneth! Nice looking fish, and if it's your first try at the timer, I'd say you got it down pretty well. Came out nice...Is it that nice down there already? (No jacket) That's amazing! River up here is still a foot of ice.

17. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    We are still in Virginia Flip Flop February weather. Cold as can be 3-4 days and then to nice to believe. It will never get above freezing Today and in three days, (Sunday) they are forcasting for near 70.

18. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Now, Kenneth, here's the real question...

If the weather is going to be as nice as they're forecasting for this weekend, but the wildlife calendar predicts really bad fishing, are you still going to hit the water? :big_smile:

19. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    On second thought, I suppose you mentioned elsewhere that the fishing is predicted to be good through Sunday.

That means...hit the water!

I just wish I didn't have so much flooring to install...:sad2:

20. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    Hey Ken,
    what a nice fish!