Ground Spikes

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Quack_Addict88, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Quack_Addict88

Quack_Addict88 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anyone know how to make ground spikes for trapping...The Ones ou shove down w rebar then pull the cable up to set them? any info is greatly appreciated

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Best thing to do is to buy the head (the anchor) from a good trapping supply house and then all you need is the cable and the aluminum ferrals to form your loops .... Garry-

3. Quack_Addict88

State:
    Kansas
    ok, well i live in Emporia Kansas...So theres really nothin like that around..im thinkin the internet would be my best bet...i almost thought about tryin to make my own..i have a few ideas...nothin too serious yet..

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I think you are refering to cable stakes.
    There are a couple of different names for them.
    Earth anchor is a commercialy available one.
    you can make your own with 1/2 inch conduit. Just cut 3 or 4 inch pieces at a 45 degree angle, drill a hole in the center ,install cable and you are in buisness.
    You'll have to make a driver. Just weld a piece ,that you've cut at 45,to a 3/8 inch rod and drive the anchor in with it.

Another method is with pogos.
    Go to utube and search pogos for a rundown on making/using them.

Another method is cut a piece of 1" steel into an long arrow point -more like a spear point. drill a hole in the center and attach your cable. Drive the point in the ground with a driver notched to recieve the unpointed end and you're in buisness.

I personally don't like the method but knock yourself out.

The best 2ya
    just

5. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    pm me and i will send you a link that will teach you how to make cable stakes from 1/2 inch conduit that a mule can not pull up.

i would put the link on here so every one could learn from it but i don't want to get in to trouble on here.

any one intersted just pm me.
    thanks
    Professional trapper
    bill

6. Quack_Addict88

State:
    Kansas
    Ok, i greatly appreciate yall tryin to help!!

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just curious,Matthew. Any reason you dont want to use regular rebar stakes? That all I've ever used they are reletively cheap and easy to make yourself .

8. Quack_Addict88

State:
    Kansas
    well, i just figured if a big coyote or somethin got in one, whether or not they would pull the stake out of the ground and run off w ma trap lol

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I never had that happen,if I thought more holding was needed ,I allways crossed staked. most of my stakes are 18" tho a few are 24 ,those I use in sandy areas and cross stake

10. Quack_Addict88

State:
    Kansas
    ok, ill give that a try before i go into tryin to build my own cable spikes and what not