Ground Hog Liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by flathead willie, May 19, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a friend that swears by Ground Hog liver. He'll stop the car when he sees a roadkill just to get the liver. He always seems to catch a lot of fish. Has anyone else tried them?

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nope, but my guess is it is a liver, with lots of secreations. Sounds like it would work to me. But I aint pulling over and getting any roadkill. LMAO

3. flat1

flat1 New Member

State:
    WV
    i think liver is liver to a cat but we shoot and cut them up for turtle bait and the turtles love the meat

4. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Thank you flathead for posting this. at one time afew years ago i made a post on here abput using groundhog livers and how well they did work for me. i alot of them did not belive me.

Groundhog liver is about like beef liver when it comes to being tuff. the acids in the groundhog liver does draw channel catfish well. to me it works best in small lakes and places where there is slow movement of water.

5. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We use to shoot groundhogs alot & use the liver it worked good for us, however the Groundhog population has diminished around here & now I get excited just to see one. Instead of getting the gun Ill get the kids so they can see it. I wish they were still abundant enough to hunt.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Heck you see groundhogs around here everywhere.just around my house i kill 12 to 20 groundhogs a year,but i never thought about using there livers before,ill have to try that.But i tell you what once they are opened up they are some stincky buggers.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I know. I made the mistake of shooting one with an arrow once and had to throw the arrow away. I couldn't get the grease and slime off of it.