Ground Blinds

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Hooked-on-cats, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Hooked-on-cats

Hooked-on-cats New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Im taking my girlfriend hunting this spring and Im planning on using a pop-up ground blind. I have hunted turkeys for many years but never have used a ground blind. I was just wondering if anyone had experience using them that could give me some tips.

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I use a lucky's tent all the time with great success. The thing with a ground blind is, you can move around a little bit without being noticed. I have had turkeys come right up and look in my windows.
    Make sure you are in full camo. Face and hands. I have a camo baseball cap that has a net you can pull over the your face that works great. Also if it is posible on your blind to close the back windows, do so. It helps not being seen by the turkeys.
    Good Luck, have fun, and most important, BE SAFE!
    Sparky

3. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    my husband and daughter go all the time and they use a pop up tent....they love it, it never goes back into storage until season is over....he also uses it to deer hunt some...not as much as turkey huntin tho. hope you have a lotta luck and get a huge one. happy huntin

4. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    i use the ameristep brickhouse or something blind with a lot of sucess ive shot deer out of it and planning to get a turky this year it has these mesh window that you shoot through with a bow so with full camo on its pretty hard for a turky to see you unless you are jumping around alot. double bull also make a really nice blind

5. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I would recommend you wear black clothing. Typical blinds are black inside, other colors will siluete (sp?) you against the back ground. A comfortable seat is another plus, one the right height. If bow hunting, I highly recommend you take a couple pratice shots from the blind, or at least from the sitting poisition, it is different. Depending on the blind you may not have as much room to manuever for firing, this includes a gun as well, especially with two folks inside. If using decoys, turkey hunting, have them pointed towards the blind, demonstrates no fear. Last but not least, if bow hunting, shoot through screens are the way to go, they not only provide additional camoflage, but they keep the bugs out.:smile2:

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    In the Doghouse I'm just antoher bush to those turks. I also wear black and keep a couple of the windows closed so I'm in the shadows, and not backlight. Gonna use those Gobler Guillotines with the bow this year. If you haven't seen em check out the vid on their website.

Awesome footage. They run a little montage, then show some partial hunts...never seen anything like it...the heads go further than the bodies.

Richard

7. Hooked-on-cats

Hooked-on-cats New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the input. I plan on putting my blind out early this weekend for the Turkeys to get use to. I took some shots through the shoot-through-mesh and it did'nt effect my arrow with a field point, I still have to try my broadheads. I imagin you probably wouldn't want to use mechanical heads with the shoot through mesh. Again thanks for the info and good luck this season.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Tony,
    Just for your info. it is not nessiary to put your blind out for the turks to get use to it. They don't care. They are not like geese, or deer that notice something is different. As a matter of fact, a few years back I was hunting the edge of a woods right next to a 30 acre harvested bean field. The turkeys were using it as a strutting zone. Two days in a row the birds came off the roost and flew to the center of the field and would not response to calls or decoys or anything I tried. They would eventually walk in the other direction out of sight. So, on the third morning I put my blind right in the middle of that field where I had seen them before. Day light came and so did the Tom's three of them. One of them came so close to my blind, I thought he was going to use it for a landing strip. Needless to say, a big bird was tagged. The bottom line is they don't pay any attention to objects that show up or disappear. Happy Hunting!
    Sparky

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree with Sparky...I once watched a tom strut and gobble all around my truck. Ditto my four wheeler.

They don't have a lick of sense.:tounge_out:

10. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ground blinds are great for new turkey hunters. they work well for everyone. i wood wear camo or dark clothes so they dont see your shadow. double bull makes a real nice blind it has shoot thru windows so u dont have to move to open window. i love mine. it sents up in a snap.great for kids and first times.

11. broncstomper

broncstomper New Member

State:
    ga
    I agree with the dark clothes theory. I spotted a guy in one last year from a long ways off. I never would have seen the blind but his cammo moving inside that blind looked like a t.v.set

12. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey guys,
    bmaultbay hit it right on the head. Wear dark or black clothing while inside. My best seat is a 5 gallon bucket I sawed off to the right height. It wont squeak and you can rotate on it very easily. Slides right over the end of the blind when it is packed up for moving. Ease of positoning is a must inside a blind and you need to do it very quietly. I use a Double Bull Pro Staff 5. It has the zip up top where 1/4 of it opens. Great to stand up and stretch, look around or open just a little for air circulation. A great option. Don't open any more windows than u have to. You dont want to be able to see a shadow or movement thru netting from window to window.
    Good luck Brother
    Danny J

13. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    you can't go wrong with a ground blind I Take mine every time I go If you are new to turkey huntin it gives you the chance to learn how well they can see and how quiet you have to be.I bought the cheapest pop up from Dick's Sporting good's for 49.99 2 yrs ago good luck