Ground Blinds - What type do you have?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by misterwhisker, Nov 21, 2008.

type of ground blind

1. store bought

2. home made

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    OK guys we have spoke a lil on tree stands and i hope they aren't stolen as we speak.:smile2:..lol...what kind of ground blinds do you have?...minus the dog house,.. that you might be in for fishing to much..:smile2:

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use the burlap material from Wally world. But it to me is more versitile than the store bought blinds. Where I hunt there is very few spots level enough to sit the store bought blind, and with the 56" X12' material I can put up a blind any where.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I do the same thing as Ken, but I have an API XT also that I used a couple times this year. Most of the time I just use natural stuff like blow downs, rocks, logs, etc., and enhance them with the 3-D cloth I carry in my pack. It helps hide any motion drawing my bow or getting my gun up when a deer is close. I carry a fold up chair with a back so I can sit for hours comfortably. By the way, I found out this year that those "Shoot Through Windows" those blinds advertise don't work with a muzzleloader. I blew half of the netting out of one window, and set my blind on fire shooting a 9 pointer a few weeks ago! LOL :wink::embarrassed_2::big_smile_2:

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Now how can you say they don't work??? Sounds like an adventure you'll remember forever...lol :wink::smile2:

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only blind that I've hunted from was a pop-up blind, and I didn't like it. Couldn't see well enough. I usually just sit in a chair in some weeds, or the edge of a milo field...but then again, I'm not exactly the "great white hunter" either. I do place vision over comfort though. Might have to get me some fabric. Sounds like the way to go. During a rain, a pop-up blind would start looking real good.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    7 gallon bucket next to a tree, most times, also have the burlap and if you don't mind just brown, you can go to a land scape business and buy a length of your choice for a lot less then the pre made for hunting ones..... Around here I bought a 100' long piece for 25 bucks last summer, it runs 4' tall, Like some of ya, I just use it in with a brush pile, and let it set until it rots away. But for the money check in with one of your local nurseries or land scape stores, most carry it in giant bulk rolls. Save some money any way. and if you need color you can always get the cheap bottles of dye and mix in an old squirt bottle make it your own. Maybe I'm just cheap tho, LOL. Buddy and I done the same thing with a couple of tents we picked up at a sale for nothing, set them up and cut the floors out, mixed up some brown black and green and just squirt them down, I'm not real sure the deer or Turks here care much for color anyway and when they are torn up and junk your not out much..........

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Matt
    I place vision over comfort too. With the fabric you can have both. It is so adjustable you'll wonder how you ever done without it. I don't care for the ready made blinds at all, that's why I tried the fabric and found it more user friendly. Your blind is what ever your imagination wants with the fabric. I like it real well around fences.In the area I hunt there is a lot barbed wire from days gone bye and it is handy quite often in blind construction.

Randy
    I like your thinking on the economics and I'll be heading off to the local landscape Co. before next hunting season. I don't think the color is important. When I started hunting way back when, Camo was a four letter word that was yet to be introduced to the hunting world. It is movement that gives most hunters away any how.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    The ground blind I own is a Double Bull TS1. This blind is easy to fold out and assemble. It's a very durable blind and has a dull finish with no shinny fabric. I love the shoot through netting and the small windows for 4 sided viewing. Yes, Double Bull blinds cost more, but the cost is worth it. It's my turkey blind and i have used it for deer hunting to.

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "During a rain, a pop-up blind would start looking real good. "

Yep, might be looking at rain for the gun opener here Monday and I am woefully under equipped for the wet stuff.
    Oh well, if I really wanted to be comfy I would get in the nice warm and dry truck, drive to the nice warm and dry store, and buy meat already cut up.

On the bright side, the rain might scare off one, or both, of my neighbors who seem to have me "cut off" from the best two directions.
    I reckon it is like a good fishing hole, I am going to have to start lying about where I have luck!:wink:

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have a rivers edge pop up and some out of military cammo netting. My unit had to get rid of a bunch of it and get new so I ended up with it. I have enough for probably 20 blinds. The pop up is nice to take somewhere and hunt out of it. The cammo netting works good for places you can set it up and leave it. We use t-post and then slide the poles over them. You don't have to worry about it blowing down this way. We cut a window in each side and it is ready to go.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Looks like I need to buy me some of that fabric. I have a outhouse and doghouse blind, the doghouse seems to be built better with better material. I do have some type of leafy netting that Ive used for tree stands but its about gone. Cant beat the pop ups in bad weather.

12. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    I also have a doghouse blind and it for me is just simply not big enough. seems like im forever hitting my elbow on the back when drawing the bow. because of this I bought a double bull matrix 360. like was earlier posted your gonna pay for it but it is just plain sweet:wink:! tons of room as i can pretty much stand up in it and big enough for 2 people. being able to see all the way around is a awesome plus as well. it is made from the heaviest material of any blind i have ever scene. the material is similier to the old "ruk sacks" of the viet nam era. kind os a canvas and its thick! Ive been using it mostly for muzzleloader and bow hunting but am hopefully going to turkey hunt out of it this coming spring.

13. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i went to the lawn and garden and got some of those styrofoam blocks for artificial flowers, take those and clip some pine tree branchs and stickem into the foam, it really does makes for good cover..ive also done this on my tree stands

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a pop-up I think the deer or big bucks at least have taken notice of it:sad2: But I have had Turkey within 20yds 3 days in a row during this rifle season .Dec. turkey season will come in and I will have a big buck snuggle up to it for an afternoon nap !:eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Paul I like your inventiveness. That's one of the better qualities of a good deer hunter. reps your way.

16. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    I got a ameristep outhouse blind $60.00 Dicks sporting goods it works great for open fields and on edges of woods!:big_smile::cool2::big_smile: it can hold like 2 people and pops up ................. the only prob is when you first get it out it smells like chineese factory funk so spray it down with scent killer!

17. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I have the same blind. I love it. First, it is not $400 like the double bull second, I have enough room to move and get comfortable. Third, it blocks the wind and rain
    I would highly recommend getting a blind they are great. Especially if you have small kids.

18. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    I have the Doghouse blind,both my boys killed
    their first deer out of it.I only use it when its
    really cold,throw my Black Cat heater in it and
    it is great.I really like that burlap/brushpile idea.
    I will try it next season

19. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have an amerastep G-30 quick set. I do use it alot the two downs to is are if your buddy hunts in it with you and your both pushing 300 lbs not much room for yall, and if you are a bow hunter as I do its realy not tall enough, if you used a recurve or long bow you could not shoot from this blind and with my compound I am limited to the corner windows that are longer/ closer to the ground to squease out a good shot.

the ups are it does have shoot through windows great for turkey birds. for deer I take them off , as they only velcrow on but I still have flaps that use little magnets to block off a window.
    If you use the shoot through window go to amerasteps web site and they do sell replacement windows for a few of their blinds.

any ground blind is a great investment in my book. cant beat it if you take your smaller kids hunting as I do. un less you put them 20 foot up in a buddy stand with you a blind hids their figiting well and helps conceal light sounds better ( cloths, wispers, finger tapping, weird figiting kinda dancing:eek:oooh:) no wait I do that on too, but after the shot:big_smile::smile2:

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    ..."and if you are a bow hunter as I do its realy not tall enough, if you used a recurve or long bow you could not shoot from this blind and with my compound I am limited to the corner windows that are longer/ closer to the ground to squease out a good shot."

That's why I got the API Terra XT. It was the highest I could find. I'm 6'3", 200#, and hunt with a recurve. The rest were just too small or too low. I can easily stand up and shoot out of mine and there is plenty of room for two big people plus all your gear. It came with a small triangular seat, but I use a bigger fold up chair with a good back rest and still have plenty of room.

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/83663/reviews.htm