groove in spool

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by bushwack, Jan 5, 2008.

1. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    What do you do for these zebco's 808,888's etc, that have a grove cut into the spool where the line rubs across it,?,, you know where the pin sticks out and grabs the line.
    I'v tried just filing or sanding it out but it seems to just take the outer coating off and then just grooves back faster

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I have a small wire welder. Just make a small spot weld on the groove then take a file and shape the weld back to the same shape as before. I have done this a number of times and it will work. Just make sure not to turn the welder up to high and burn through the spool. I set mine as low as it will go. I hope this helps...

3. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    O. I forgot to say to take the pin out before you do any welding on it some of them are plastic and will melt. Good luck..

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Have you tried that 2 part epoxy putty that they sell at the counter in auto parts stores? I don't like the JB Weld Cold Weld stuff, but some other stuff I bought to just patch some old screw holes in the top of my boat console worked great. Sets fast, sets real hard, and you can grind or sand it down like meta. Good Luck!

Branden

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chuck it, and get some good baitcasters ! :eek:))

6. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks guys,, I'll try those fixes