Grizzly 1754 Enough boat for Mississippi River?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by SkipEye, Jun 4, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I am interested in buying a new boat. Am considering the Grizzly 1754 from Bass Pro. Can't believe how expensive these all-weld Jon's are.

Although I would like to upgrade to the 40hp Merc, the standard 25 is a lot more in my price range. Is this enough to run the Mississippi?

I don't drink on the water but want to make sure my two boys are safe enough as long as we don't get stupid. We want to catfish, run some jugs, trotlines etc........

Winfield, Mo. will mostly be running the area around lock and dam 25.

Thanks, new member here, have lots to learn.

Darryl

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Darryl. I started fishing the Missouri in a 14' v bottom aluminum boat with an 18 horse johnson on it. I had no problems, but I dont drink and I have a lot of respect for the river. I understand it only takes a second. And you probably only get one mistake. I would think you can run the Miss. with no problems as long as you keep those things in mind. And like you metioned the kids dont leave the bank without a life jacket. And untill they were older they never took them off. Good luck with the new boat and good fishing

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I appreciate the reply. The boys are 12 and 14 so not too young. Momma says we all wear lifejackets when boat is not anchored and I agree. (Well, she says all the time actually).

I really want the upgrade bad but it adds considerably to the cost. The expense gets out of hand real quick. I'm sure I'm not the only poor working sap that has had to compromise wants and needs. LOL

Thanks, I'll be looking here for advice on catfishing tips. Great site!

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Welcome to the BOC Darryl. The boat you are considering is more than adequate for the Mississippi River. You just have to be carefull out there and not take any chances. There is another Missouri thread that was started a couple of weeks ago on boat sizes and safety. You can get alot of good from it. Welcome Aboard.

5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I feel a little more at ease now, was worried if the 25hp would be powerful enough in the current.

That being said, any opinions on the 1754 center console as a catfishing rig? Would the side console be better? Other suggestions? Other boats in the price range?

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Suggestions for good modifications to a Jon boat appreciated also.

Catfish being our main quarry of course.

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I think you'll be ok in your boat just take it easy.
    hell you can have a 24footer with twin 250's and still find trouble

so just be careful & good fishing

8. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes - it can be done. I was using a 14' Fisher Marsh Hawk for several years.

My only thing was there were a few situations out there that made me pucker up, and I wasn't very cool with that, so I decided to upsize, so I went to a 20' Sea Ark.

Willie's right though - you can still find trouble if you don't respect the river. Only difference is that now I don't get those butterflies in my stomach anymore when a barge goes by, or I go off the end of a wing dike like I used to.

Respect the river and you'll be fine. !! Be smart/Be safe.

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I used to fish that area with a 14' w/6hp. which topped out at 7 mph, current in that area is only 1-2 mph generally. I moved up to a 1754 SC Blind Duck w/75hp but that is overkill. I see people out there with <25hp who have no problem. I just get back to the ramp faster. The river can kill you quick no matter what size boat you're in, I don't allow booze in the boat or anybody who has been drinking!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a Lowe 1648 with a 25hp Yamaha 4-stroke on it. I love everything about the motor except the difficulty in getting up on plane when there are 4 people in the boat. Everybody has to be sitting in just the right place, or it just won't get up on plane. It almost makes me wish I'd opted for a 40hp 2-stroke, which would have been about the same price as what I bought, and it would have been no more weight than the 25hp 4-stroke. But then, the 2-stroke would have been louder and use more gas. Near as I can figure, I get about 9mpg or a hair better. The amount of gas I use on the water has ceased to even be a consideration with the 4-stroke.

Center console or side console? There's no denying that a CC looks really cool. But the CC was designed for use in rough water, where the operator needs to be able to stand up and take the shock of hitting big waves by keeping the knees bent and allowing them to flex with the pounding. I had a 20' Robalo CC that I used in both the Pacific and the Gulf, and there were lots of times I was standing, rather than sitting in the fishing chair mounted right behind me. But you don't run into water that rough very often in fresh water, which kind of eliminates that reason for getting a CC. But standing up also allows you to see better and farther; if you're trying to see stuff on the water like floating logs or jugs, standing is a little better than sitting. Remember though, with a CC (like a pontoon) the person running the boat is running the boat...and nothing else. With a side console the driver can grab a jug, or even net a fish without leaving his seat. It's even possible for the driver to fish, say while drifting, without leaving the controls, unlike the CC, which would require the driver to leave the controls unattended if he wanted to fish. That might be ok in some situations, but for others, like below a dam, someone really needs to be on the controls at all times. And a CC takes up a lot more room than a side console. I've got a 20' Kenner that originally had a CC, but has been converted to a side console, and it's amazing how much more room it has now.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have a 1754 War-Eagle with a yamaha 25 4-stroke on it. And its not enough motor. It will get by. But may it drinks gas. My 17ft is way to much motor for the 25 hp. 9 miles takes 4 gallons in it.
    When I had the same motor on a 1452 john. It would run 22 miles on a little over 2 gallons..
    I will be upgrading to a 50 hp on this boat in a few years.
    Pete

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    All the comments on gas mileage are something to think about.

So, if I am understanding correctly the biggest detriment to gas mileage is an UNDERSIZED MOTOR? Could I upgrade for cheaper by going to a 50hp two-stroke and still not get killed on gas?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

I actually looked again today and am not sure if I can bring myself to pay that much for a Jon when a nice, pretty fiberglass boat is not much more and better equipped.

I guess next I should ask if anyone is catfishing out of a carpeted Bass Boat and not trashing it?

13. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Ersel and I fish out of a 18ft grizzly with a 50 2stk. His boat is perfect for catfishing in my opinion. You can walk around either of the boat and sitting in the center while fishing is not a problem at all. I like it also for running the river baecause you can stand or sit to drive. The sides are deep enough to not worry as much about the kids.

I would not get a 25 personally. 40hp min and you will save serious gas with a 4stk. 25 will do the job but you can get the same performance at 3/4 throttle on a 40hp.

I would not get a bass boat to catfish out of. Too hard to clean up after that bigin flops around on the floor. Fiberglass is also heavier and needs more motor to get the same performance.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have had a bass boat a pontoon a 1654 jon and other asundry boats. For catfish the best boat for a river is a welded jon. I just got my 20 ft SeaArk and it is the cats meow.
    I prefer the side console for the reasons Jtrew said above.
    If you want a bigger motor on a budget, have you considered used? There are some real deals to be had out there if you are careful.

Good Luck,

The hunting of a boat is the happiest day in the mans life.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have a 17' triton with a 75 4stroke on it and as long as you arent full throttle all day it gets awesome gas mileage, around 8mpg or a little more. If you underpower a boat you will need to run it wide open all the time, if you get an engine that will have no problem pushing it, you can always back off the throttle, if your looking to save money I would recomend buying a nice used one with the power you want on it, it will save a lot of money.

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Now, I am really leaning on the 1860 with a 50hp two stroke. I know I will trash a bass boat.

The wife says I'll regret the Jon and she won't want to ride in it. She prefers the shiny fiberglass model.

I have to keep everybody happy and frankly catfishing will not be the only past-time.

More confused than ever.

Financing came back approved so I just need to make up my mind and go get what I want.

It's easy to keep adding a little here and there and the price climbs quickly.

I normally don't have this much trouble making up my mind. LOL

Anyone using a bass boat to catfish please relay your experiences with keeping the boat clean.

Thanks.

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    If you ask my opinion, you'd be better off room wise considering everyone involved in buying a 17 or 18 ft CC. I fish the mississippi out of a H51db express bass boat. After getting to fish the mississippi for a while a CC in 17 to 20 ft would be ideal. With a family motor size would be important. My 90 hp 2 stroke is surprisingly efficient on gas considering its a 2 stroke. I think it is due to being the max rated for the boat so its never overloaded or ran wide open for the most part. Most trips i burn on average of 3 to 4 gallons and its 12 miles out to one of the spots i fish. The only time i burn more fuel is when i'm looking for new water to fish. If i were to buy another and being cash limited i'd seriously look for something 17 to 20ft plain with exceptions seats/ trolling motor and don't skip on getting a decent depthfinder. Most boats come with one something like a x-51 lowrance is more than adequate enough. A good rule of thumb is to set the depth finder say at 10ft shallow alarm so that if you run into a sandbar out of the main channel you'll know. One of my first trips i nearly floated over a dike so now it beeps when it gets shallower than 10ft.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What kind of waters are you planning to fish? There are spots I fish where I wouldn't want to take a fiberglass boat; I've seen one sunk there already. I've also seen several fiberglass bass boats stuck on top of a stump. It's a place where there are lots of submerged trees rotted off just below the surface of the water. In my aluminum boat, if it isn't a solid hit, I simply open the throttle and slide on over the 'stump'. For open water, fiberglass isn't that much heavier than aluminum, it's quieter, and you can't fry eggs on it in the summertime. What makes a fiberglass bass boat so heavy is all the crap they've got built into it. If you put all that into an aluminum boat, it will be heavy, too. Remember, bass fishermen fish OFF of a boat (platforms), while catfishermen fish OUT of a boat (sitting down). Granted, you can pick up some used bass boats pretty cheap, and most of us have a budget to watch, but even though it would probably take more looking, I'd look for something on the order of a Carolina Skiff or a Kenner. I've got an old 20' Kenner that has very little built into it, and I would be willing to bet that it doesn't weigh 10% more than an aluminum jon boat that's the same size. The center console has been replaced with a side console, which gives me enough room to put a king size bed in if that's what I want. It has more room than a 20' pontoon, high sides to keep the grandkids from falling out; a friend had one like it that was 19' long with a 60hp Mercury, and we used to ski behind it, with two people in the boat and one skier.

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I have a Landau Weld-tek 1754 and I run the Mississippi river 2-3 times per week all year. I do have a 70hp Yamaha on it which is a awesome motor, but if it was me, I'd at least get something with a 50hp. motor. I had a 40 hp Merc on my last boat, (16 ft. basstracker) It ran good, and would still plane off with 4 people crammed in it, but it wasn't very fast.

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I fish the Mississippi River south of St. Louis in my G3 1860 CC with an old (1985) 50hp 2 stroke. The Kutter's Katter aint the best boat out there, but it suits me just great. Before this, I had a fiberglass bass boat and I would definitely NOT recommend that for catfishing anywhere. As far as family, my wife and son both love to go for boat rides in the Katter. Neither are into fishing, but just going for a ride is fun.
    As for gas mileage, well, it could be better. The motors getting old and it normally gives me about 5 miles to the gallon. With only room for a 12 gallon tank, that still gives me 60 miles of water to cover. However, on a day of exploring new water, that can happen far too quick.
    JTrew is quite correct in his description of what a CC does. In the river, you can hit some mighty big waves off them barges going by. I don't know about you, but my old back could never handle a side console again. I could not believe how much easier on my back, a CC is.
    There are a couple of changes I could use. For one, I wish the boat was a 72 instead of a 60 wide. That extra 6 inches on each side of the console would be nice. Also, one of these days I'm going to have to spring for a new motor. I want a 4 stroke, but cannot decide on size. The boat is rated at 50-90 hp. I never need to run 90 miles an hour, but getting from one end of the river to the next can sure take a long time with the smaller motor. Time that could be used fishing. lol
    Also, I wish the gas tank could be bigger. However, with 2 batteries back there also, it can't happen. I have considered moving the batteries out of the hole and that would free up room for nearly twice the size gas tank.