grits as bait

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by SOLO DOLO, Sep 29, 2009.

1. SOLO DOLO

SOLO DOLO New Member

State:
    Greenville,SC
    Anyone use Grits as carp bait??? let me know

2. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Probably, but I never heard of it. There's all kinda concoctions...welcome to the BOC :big_smile:

3. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Don't waste those grits on nasty ole carp!

Buy you some carp bait and eat those grits fixed with butter, salt, and pepper with some bacon and some cathead biscuits!

4. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Thad, I like the way you think, or cook as it may be.

As for the grits as bait, never heard of it myself. But I firmly believe if anyone has ever heard of it, you will hear from them here. Someone will know.

Jacob, and Thad, welcome to the BOC.:big_smile:

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Never heard of it, but anything is possible.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i know guys that chum in blue gill and other fish with oatmeal, so i dont know why grits wouldnt work. especially if you made dough balls with them in it, it wouldnt be that different from a Wheaty-ball.

7. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i aint never heard of grits for bait i usually use a big red and flour concoction

8. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Grits are usually used as a pack bait or method mix wrapped around the lead (sinker). It is packed in snowball fashion, then when the baits are casted into the water, the packed bait starts to break down forming a "chum" pile around the hook bait. The theory is that the bait pile will draw a carp's attentention better than just a single hook bait. The method does work with both grits and oats. Cream corn is usually used as the binder for this type of thing. Hope that this helps a little. This method is a European method of carp fishing.:wink: Personally in my opinion oats are easier to use and more user friendly.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  9. Just_a_feller

Just_a_feller New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I agree , save the grits for meal time.. I have just started making my own bait....Make a lye soap mixture, take 1 lb of chicken livers, grind them to a pulp in a food processer, and mix withe soap mixture. Pour it in a mold. It will take about four days to set up....Have had good luck with it.

10. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    First Example:
    Frankenstein Carp Mix:

8 cups quick oats

2 cups quick grits

2 cups Bran

1 can Sweetend condensed Milk

1 can cream style corn(Store brand is best!)

Flavor of your choice

Breaks in 3 minutes with the accuracy of a swiss watch! I have used this stuff for 3 consecutive days and it still packs.... a really stable formula!

Example II:
    3 packs instant grits
    1 pack quick grits
    1 pack strawberry or whatever flavor oatmeal
    a little bit of water
    mix together

Example III:
    Black Pepper
    Oats
    Cracked corn
    Kayro syrup
    selected Bird seed
    corn meal
    grits
    peach vodka ( snaps)
    glug of aunt jamma syrup
    Tabasco

As many Carp Fishermen and Women will tell you, Grits WORK and they are Great for Breakfast as well.

HOPPY4

11. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mom had a reciepe that had grits as the main ingredient. To them she added:
    A Little flour ,corn starch, sugar, redhots (candies), and vanila extract for flavor.
    They were mixed in to a thick paste in a bowl and then rolled in to "snakes" 5-6"s long.

She then Dropped them into boiling water for a couple mins to toughen them up.
    Been a lot of years ago but I recall snacking on the "Bait" from time to time.
    Thought they were great then. :roll_eyes:

ron

12. bluecatfish

bluecatfish New Member

State:
    SoCal

never heard abt it bait....welcome to the BOC:wink:

13. Jetdoc

Jetdoc New Member

State:
    Mooresville Indiana
    Yes I use grits several different ways with my packbait. I use just grits, grits with cream corn, or mix oats, grits and cream corn all together. I always use corn for the pickup as I have had limited success with boilies. Have caught common carp, grass carp and buffalo this way.

14. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    A lot of paylakers use grits in NC. To get grits to pack better, use some all purpose flour (not self rising it/s to stickey). Add your flavor & mold on a corn pop. Grits take on flavors well.:0a26: