Grinnel fishing

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by catdaddy007, Nov 22, 2007.

1. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Just wondering if anyone else enjoys catching these fish. I use a black twister tail worm with a fire tail.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    GUESS YER TALKING ABOUT A "dog fish" or thats another name up here anyway, don't really "fish" for them but usually get a few through out the year and they do put on a good show thats for sure, got some bigguns swimming in the kasky river. usually get into them while bottom fishing here.

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    they are a llot of fun and fight hard ,they also like crawdad colored worms

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    caught a 12 lber on a crappie rod back in the spring. One heck of a good fight.

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    what do they look like?

6. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Them critters will flat tear up a spinnerbug, and any other bait they manage ta get their choppers on.... they do fight good.....Catch 'um on the Red River every now an then fishin fer them green things......

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Man its been a a while since we had a good old fin thread man they are my favorite fish and have been my whole life they got some personality that just sets them apart from most other fish. Only reason I dont fish for them more often is the distance I have to travel to catch them:sad2:

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Fish a 2 to 4 inch bluegill about 3 foot deep around stumps and brush. If there are bowfins around you will soon find out. Remember, don't try to lip these babys, they can hurt you bad !!

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    About 10 years ago my dad and I hooked into some dandies fishing Reelfoot Lake. They tore up minnows and cut shad.

10. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Kevin, go to yahoo images and look up bowfin (another name for grinnel). I've never tried to eat one but I love to catch them.

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If it weren't for the spring bowfin run, I probably wouldn't get out of bed to go fishing in the springtime! I found something else fun fishing for them this year...chunk a live frog and watch them rip 'em off the surface! lol

12. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I love catching them. I target them a lot for sport in the back waters of the swamps here when it's so hot other fish stop hitting. A lot of ppl think of them as trash fish but there the badest fish in fresh water. If you ask me there is more of a sport in catching them then any other type of fresh water fish. There is vary few of the so called sports fishermen that will handle them by hand like they do bass or other fish. To me hands on is part of the sport in catching these bad boy's,when you have a 15 plus #er on a line getting hold of him with one hand "watch the teeth" is not always the easiest thing to do. If bass had teeth like them there would be a lot less bass fishermen,and they call bass fishing a sport. LOL

13. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I was a kid an old fellow would take my brother and I to a local slough everybody called the "Snakehole". We would catch a toesack full of them on crawdad tails using a cane pole. We would bring them home, scale & gut them. Mom would fry them up as we cleaned them. They were delicious.
    The meat has a soft texture not like any other fish.

14. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yuppers most would think your crazy when ya tell them ya eat them but they are great fried and the occasional fish patties
    :wink: