Grilled Shrimp

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Boomer, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you like shrimp and BBQ'ing, then give this a try. I like to do this when I am making steak.

Bamboo Skewers (Soak in water for 30-45 minutes prior to cooking).
    raw shrimp (I use the 30-40 count)
    6 garlic cloves
    1 stick butter (no fake butter, the real is the best)

in a skillet on the stove melt butter and chop garlic cloves really fine and add to butter, simmer for about 5 minutes (do not use high heat).

Devein shrimp and skewer about 10 on bamboo skewers.

On grill, take a piece of tin foil and punch holes so smoke will come up thru the holes, or if you have one of those metal mesh baskets for a grill works great. I use a paint brush to brush shrimp with garlic/butter. Cook 2-3 minutes per side on medium heat.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OHH YEAH,now we're talkin:cool2:

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I also forgot to put on here, that me and my daughter like some cayenne pepper mixed into the butter (she is six), but it is to hot for my wife, so I have to leave hers plain.....gives it a little kick....

4. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    You should also try mixing some smoked paprika in the butter, tastes great.

5. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I love shrimp. Here is something I do quite a bit.

Dice some fresh tomatoes. Just use your own judgment on how many depending on how many are eating. I like to use really ripe romanos but you can use what you want. Salt and pepper them and spread them out on some foil and put the whole thing on the grill or in a smoker with a pretty fair amount of heat. I like hickory but mesquite will work too. Hit them with the smoke until they are nice and bubbly. When they are done just take them off and set aside.

Saute some finely chopped onions in some extra virgin olive oil until they start to get soft. Season to your preference. Whatever you like really. I like salt, pepper, fresh oregano and basil. When the onions are soft, add a couple cloves of garlic and saute a bit more until the onions start to brown a bit. Add your shrimp and turn the heat down a bit and cook until the shrimps are about 3/4 of the way done. I like to butterfly the shrimp but you can just clean and peel them and use them whole. Your choice. I think they taste better butterflied because they take the seasonings better. Then fold in the smoked tomatoes and turn the heat up and get the whole thing nice and bubbly. Don't cook too much or the shrimps will get rubbery. Fold all that into your favorite pasta and enjoy.

It's a pretty flexible recipe. You can use any veggie you want really. Sometimes I will add some celery or even diced carrots. They go really well with the tomatoes. You can even use scallops instead of shrimp or both. Just get creative with it. I like to serve garlic bread with this too. Hope you enjoy it if you try it!