Grilled Food

Discussion in 'BOC Member Cookbook' started by Gator, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    2 catfish fillets
    about ¼ cup lemon juice
    1 stick of butter
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 tsp salt1/2 tsp red (cayenne pepper)

get your coals nice and hot. Brush on some lemon juice on the fillets and combine the rest of the ingredients into the lemon juice you have left in a small pan and heat over a low heat until the butter melts and the liquid is simmering. Place your greased rack abut 6 inches over your hot coals. Grill the fillets about 6 minutes on each side basting with the butter sauce. The fish should flake when probed with a fork and brother this is best served with a cold beer. Enjoy

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Dee Sutherland(Momma cat)

This recipe is best used right on the boat.
    Start catfishing early, coz if you dont catch em' then you dont eat.
    when you get a few cats cought, skin and fillet them.
    Heat up your grill, or start your charcoal,
    I cut the fillets into 3 peices generally
    I usually have a gallon of fresh water on the boat with me to wash the fish in.
    then put the fish peices in a ziplock bag, or bowl and cover with milk. let soak till the charcoal is ready.
    if you need a bowl, but forgot one, you can always cut a gallon jug in half.
    now I know I will get critised for this, but I use Andys Fish breading.
    (Its very easy to take along on trips)
    When the charcoal is ready, cover grill with aluminum foil, and spray with cooking spray.
    Then coat the fish peices with the dry breading.
    place on the grill, and cook until done on each side, turning only once.

I know that you all prolly dont use store bought breadings, but it is tasty, and convenient.

3. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Jerry Maas(Cummins4X4)

Place fillets in a large deep flat bottomed bowl, Fillets off of big fish should be halved. Cover with Wish-Bone Robusto Italian dressing. I grill over either a charcoal grill or Jenn-Aire range inside. Spray your grill with Pam Before heating! Fillets should take about 7-9 minutes per side on smaller fillets ;longer on larger. This recipe also works well on stripers and king mackeral.

4. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Lonnie Buck(Lbuck99215)

These fillets are grilled on bamboo skewers: (be sure to soak the skewers in water for an hour or so before use to prevent burning.)
    Prepare 3 pounds of fillets by slicing intoportions 2" wide by as much length as possible (up to 8"). These will be threaded on the skewers for grilling.
    Marinate in:
    3/4 Cup Soy Sauce
    1/4 Cup rice wine (or cider) vinegar
    1/8 Cup Brown sugar
    1/8 Cup minced or crushed fresh ginger
    1 Tablespoon crushed garlic
    Marinate, refrigerated for 2-3 hours.
    Grill @ 2 1/2 -3 minutes per side.
    Serve over a salad of thin sliced cucumber and onion with a dressing made of:
    1Cup rice wine vinegar
    1/4 sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 Cup chopped parsley
    1/4 Cup chopped ciantro (optional)
    makes @ 8 servings

5. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Jerry Maas(Cummins4X4)

Start with about 10 fillets, cut these fillets in half. Pat dry with paper towels.Rub both sides with Tabasco sauce and then sprinkle with salt. Make a sauce with 1 cup cooking oil, juice from 1/2 a lemon and 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce. Brush fillets with this sauce and grill aprox 6-12 minutes depending on thickness of fillets basting several times with sauce.

6. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Chuck Greene(Chuck Greene)

1. Marinate fillets in lime juice for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

2. Wipe grill down with olive oil or spray with olive oil Pam.

3. Season fillets with "soul food flavoring" to taste and grill on low heat, turning about every 10 minutes until done. I usually pour the lime juice used for marinating on the fillets when I turn them, and season both sides of the fillets.

4. Serve with slices of fresh lime.

We get soul food seasoning at Family Dollar 2 for $1.

7. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Dave Spellman(Davebob)

Spicy Grilled Catfish Returns

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1 cup White wine
    2 tablespoons dry mustard
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons pepper
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
    1 pound catfish fillets

Directions:
    1. Mix olive oil, lime juice, wine, mustard, chili powder, pepper, cilantro and salt in a medium bowl. Transfer half of the marinade mixture to another bowl and reserve for basting catfish. Add catfish to the first bowl; marinate for 15 - 20 minutes.
    2. Drain fillets and discard marinade. Grill over direct high heat, basting with reserved marinade, for about 3 minutes on each side, or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

8. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Rex Birt(Catfish156123)

Grilled Cabbage

1. One whole cabbage
    2. Half pound bacon (diced)
    3. One onion (diced)
    4. Grease from bacon
    5. Barbecue Sauce
    6. Butter (fourth of stick)
    Roll aluminum foil into a donut shape to set the cabbage on in the grill. Saute the bacon and onion and save the grease. Cut out about a three inch crater in the core end of the cabbage. Fill with sauted bacon and onion and barbecue and add butter (cut into small piece). Wipe on some bacon grease on the outside of the cabbage to keep it from drying out. Start the grill and add pan of water in the middle of grill. Put cabbage over the pan so it is not direct heat cooking. Grill for about two hours and replenish the charcol after about one hour. And use your favorite wood flavor. To keep the bacon and onion from getting to dark put a piece of aluminum on the top. Cut into wedge shape and serve. Cooking time may be different on each grill or grill type.

9. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by David Carroll(Cat_Daddy64)

Beef Sirloin Kabobs with Roasted Red Pepper Dipping Sauce

Ingredients:

1-1/2 pounds boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1 inch thick
    2 teaspoons coarse grind black pepper
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
    2 cloves garlic, minced

Dipping Sauce:

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 jars (7 ounces each) roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained, finely chopped
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed or 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
    1 cup ready-to-serve beef broth
    2 teaspoons cornstarch

Instructions:

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic, cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender.

Add red peppers, wine, tomato paste and thyme, stirring until tomato paste is blended. Combine broth and cornstarch in small bowl, mixing until smooth.

Stir into pepper mixture, bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.

Meanwhile cut beef steak into 1-1/4 x 1-1/4 x 1-inch pieces. Combine pepper, salt, paprika and 1 clove garlic in large bowl.

Add beef; toss to coat. Thread beef pieces evenly onto six 12-inch metal skewers, leaving small space between pieces.

Place kabobs on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, about 7 to 9 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning once.

Serve with dipping sauce.

10. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by R.W. Brown(Mtcatman)

We call this Trout Madison but it works very well for catfish also.

Enough catfish fillets so you and the people eating with you are full.

A sheet of foil for each fillet.

Take the fillet and lay it on the foil. place a slice of cream cheese, onion, tomato in the center of the fillet. Sprinkle with salt and lemon pepper. Roll up and wrap it with a slice of Bacon. You can use a tooth pick to pin it closed if you need to. Fold up the sides of the foil and then add a splash of white wine over the fillet. Close the foil tightly and palce on the grill. I do them all at one time so they all finish at the same time. It takes about 8 minutes depending on how hot your grill is. I turn them one time about half way through. This is why you have to make sure they are closed tight.

The White Wine and the Cream Cheese make a great sauce for the fish and with the taste of the Bacon.

11. Whistler

State:
    TN

This appetizer is outstandingly delicious and looks elegant on the plate as well.

Ingredients:

6 small Portobello mushrooms (my grocery store has these under the name Baby Bellas)
    1/4 cup (60 milliliters) olive oil
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    2 dashes hot sauce
    1 little black avocado
    3 tablespoons sour cream
    2 tablespoons minced red onion
    Salt
    6 slices bacon

Preparation:

Remove the stems from your portobellos (save them to slice and sauté for omelets or to serve over steak!) and set the mushroom caps on a plate. Measure the olive oil and crush one of the cloves of garlic into it, then stir in the thyme and the hot sauce.

Using a brush, coat the portobello caps on both sides with the olive oil mixture.

Next, cut open your avocado, remove the pit and scoop it into a small mixing bowl. Mash it with a fork. Stir in the sour cream, the onion and the other clove of garlic, crushed.

Salt the avocado mixture to taste.

Now we have to get your bacon cooking. Lay it on a microwave bacon rack or in a glass pie plate and nuke it on high for 6 minutes (times may vary a bit depending on the power of your microwave).

While your bacon is cooking, go grill your mushrooms! Lay them on an oiled grill over well-ashed coals, or over a gas grill set to medium to medium-low.

Grill for about 7 minutes per side, or until done through, basting frequently with the olive oil mixture.

You'll want a water bottle for flare-ups.

When your mushrooms are appealingly grilled, put them back on their plate and march them back to the kitchen. Check your bacon, if it's not crisp, give it another minute or two, then drain it.

Divide the avocado mixture between the mushrooms, piling it high in a picturesque fashion.

Crumble a slice of bacon over each stuffed mushroom and serve.

6 appetizer servings

Each will have 9 grams of carbohydrate and 3 grams of fiber, for a usable carb count of 6 grams; 6 grams protein

12. Whistler

State:
    TN

These are so simple and so wonderful-count on them to disappear in a flash! A Lowcarbezine! reader sent in this idea, but sadly, I don't have his or her name. Whoever you are, thank you!

Ingredients:

1 pound (500 grams) fresh mushrooms
    2 16-ounce (450-gram) packages bacon (the cheaper the better)

Preparation:

At least 30 minutes before assembling your Mushroom Bombs, start a bunch of wooden toothpicks soaking in water.

Now, get your fire going-you'll want a medium-low fire, since the bacon grease will definitely cause flare-ups.

Wrap each mushroom in a strip of bacon, and anchor it with a toothpick thrust clear through. Wrap all your mushrooms, then set them on the grill.

Every few minutes turn the mushrooms, and be sure you have a squirt bottle on hand for those flare-ups!

Grill until the bacon is done. Serve as an appetizer, or as a side with a steak.

The number of Mushroom Bombs you get will depend on how many mushrooms per pound, of course. Figure this is enough for at least 8 people, and maybe as many as 12, depending on what else you serve.

Assuming 8 people, each will get about 3 grams of carbohydrate and 1 gram of fiber, for a usable carb count of 2 grams; 35 grams of protein, which makes this hearty enough for a main course.

13. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Originally posted by Michael L. Smith(McFlat)

after many many years of experimenting, this is the best rub I've found. It may seem like a lot of time and effort but it isn't as you can make a huge batch by muliplying the amounts and it keeps forever.

BARBECUE SPICE RUB

2 TABLESPOON SALT
    2 TABLESPOON SUGAR
    1 TABLESPOON BROWN SUGAR
    2 TEASPOON CHILI POWDER
    2 TEASPOON PAPRIKA
    1 TEASPOON CUMIN
    1/2 TEASPOON CAYENNE PEPPER
    1/2 TEASPOON BLACK PEPPER
    1/2 TEASPOON GARLIC POWDER
    1/2 TEASPOON ONION POWDER
    COMBINE ALL TOGETHER AND BREAK CLUMPS OF BROWN SUGAR ALL THE WAY DOWN!!

Rub your ribs with this medium/heavy. Wrap them in foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for atleast 12 hours. Freeze what ribs you don't want to cook after the fridge time.

Slow smoke ribs using indirect heat for a 2.5 to hours unless you are positive they are done. Take ribs and slice individually or atleast make deep slits in the meat. Put ribs on heavy duty foil, add a decent amount of your favorite sauce, and return to grill. Another 30 minutes close to the coals and your ribs will be ready to eat. You can also leave them there for hours until you are ready to eat them and they will stay warm and get to that fall off the bone place that a lot of people like. I kid you not, these will be some of the best you've had. The first 5 slabs I cooked never saw a drop of sauce......then I found Famous Dave's Texas Pit bbq sauce. Enjoy.

14. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Are ya tired of the ol' cheese burger hot off the grill ? Then please give this a try. I promise ya, ya will love'em !!!!!
    Makes 6 to 8 burgers or less if ya like'em real big....

4lbs. Lean Ground meat
    2 Jalapenos (minced)
    1 bunch cilantro (chooped)
    2 limes (juiced)
    4 tablespoons cracked black pepper
    2 tablespoons salt
    I like to use one of those lil food choopers to mince up the jalapenos and then the cilantro
    Mix everything together real good.
    Pack ya 6-8 nice size burger patties
    Place on grill and cook'em like ya do a regular burger
    After ya got'em where ya like'em melt slices of pepper jack cheese or your other choice of cheese on top of the burger while ya toast yer buns.....
    Now go to the jaw with'em and enjoy !

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Since we are all family here, I will share with ya'll my prized shrimp recipe. this never lasts long when go to or have a gathering.

Marinated Grilled Shrimp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled
    and deveined

Directions
    1 In a large mixing bowl combine garlic, olive oil,
    tomato sauce, cider vinegar. Season with basil, salt and
    cayenne pepper. Mix thoroughly.
    2 Add shrimp and toss to coat evenly. Cover and
    refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, tossing once or twice.
    3 Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly
    oil grate.
    4 Remove the shrimp from the bowl and thread onto
    skewers. If using wood or bamboo skewers, soak them in water
    for 15 minutes to minimize burning. Skewers should pass
    through each shrimp twice, once near the tail and once near
    the head.
    5 Grill for 3 minutes on each side or until pink and
    opaque all the way through

****if ya really wanna make it interested get some sugar cane make skewers out of it and use that in replace of bamboo skewers. the sugar caramelizes and adds something special to the mix.

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thai Chicken Kabobs

Thai Marinade (for 1 1/2 #):

1/2 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium);
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar;
    1/4 cup ketchup;
    2 Tbsp.fresh lime juice;
    2 Tbsp. peanut butter; 1 lg. shallot, chopped (or use small onion);
    1 garlic clove, minced;
    1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper;
    1 lg. onion, cut into wedges;
    1 each: lg green, red and yellow bell peppers, cut in chunks (or use all green).

Combine all ingredients except onion and peppers in blender. Process until smooth. Pour half over chicken (original recipe calls for boneless skinless thighs cut in half; I usually use some thighs and some bnls skls tenders or breasts cut into chunks) and reserve half for basting. Marinate several hours or overnight. Drain chicken. Thread chicken on skewers alternately with onion and pepper pieces. If using tenders, just do an "S" design. (If you want your veggies more DONE, put them in the microwave for a couple minutes first). Grill over medium heat approx. 20 - 30 min. or until instant read thermometer registers 180 F. in thickest part of chicken. Garnish with cilantro and lime slices if desired. (If you want to forego the kabob idea, you can leave your peppers in halves and your chicken in larger pieces. Just don't forget to baste!) Serve with Thai Cucumber Salad (recipe follows) and an Asian rice/pasta side. Mmm...

17. shelli davis

shelli davis New Member

State:
    missouri
    1 lb. ground beef
    1/4 c. thinly sliced green onions
    1 tsp. seasoned salt
    3/4 tsp. dried basil, crushed
    1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    1/2 tsp. dried crushed thyme
    1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
    4 onion rolls slit in half

in large bowl combine all ingredients except rolls, blend well. shape into 4 patties. place on broiler pan 4 inches from heat until desired doneness. turning half way through cooking serve on onion rolls.
    (they are good on the grill and with sauteeed onions)

18. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Smoked Wings:

Thought I would share my recipe and cooking instructions for Smoked Wings.

Five lbs of wings (or serving size of choice)
    Wing sauce of choice to use as a marinade.
    Apple or other fruit wood as smoke producer
    Bar-B-Q sauce of choice (I like the ones with honey)

Open wings and wash with cold water
    On a cutting board, remove the wing tip section
    Open a gallon zip lock bag and place de-tipped wings in bag.
    Completely cover all wings with marinade sauce (either home made or off the shelf)
    Place in frig and leave for several hours or even over night is better.

Cooking:
    Get the smoker ready and up to temperature (225 to 250)

Place apple chunks in the water in your water pan.

Place your fruit wood in the smoker (workes of charcol, gas, or electric)

Place wings on racks and note the time.

After one hour, open the smoker and mist the wings with apple juice from a spray bottle. Repeat this misting every half hour there after.

keep the smoke rolling for the entire cooking time by adding more wood as necessary.

After 3 1/2 hours smoking time, fire up your grill on high heat.

When grill is hot, remove the wings from the smoker and place them on the grill.

Brush liberally with the BAR-B-Q sauce of your choice.

Turn the wings with sauce side down and brush the exposed side.

After 5 minutes turn the wings and brush again.

Turn the wings again at 5 minutes and apply suace again.

The idea here is to firm up the skin, and "char" the sauce without burning it blace.

When the wings take on the nice BAR-B-Q look, remove and wrap in foil to allow "sweating".

Just prior to placing the wings on the grill (approximately 45 minutes) try the following:

Make an aluminum foil pouch by taking two pieces of foil exactly the same size and folding three sides with a butch fold to form a "pressure cooker".

Chuck up several potatos, a couple of squash, and an onion.

Place the vegies in the foil pouch.

Season to taste with salt, pepper, and season all.

Add three or four chunks of butter and seal up your pouch.

Now, Place this pouch on your grill and bring the heat up to around 300 degrees.

After a few minutse, the pouch will puff up and the vegies will start cooking.

Allow 30 to 40 minutes cooking time.

Reomve the foil pouch from the grill and leave sealed until redy to eat.

Whip up a batch of baked beans and place them on grill when you do your veggie pouch. I use the Busch's home style baked beans and spice them up a little. I add a couple table spoons of BAR-B-Q sauce, a couple table spoons of brown sugar, and some diced onions. Three or four strips of bacon placed on top and into the grill with the veggies.

Now, all you have to do is get the plates ready, fill and enjoy. It's a lot more difficult to describe this process than it is to actually do it. Makes a wonderful meal. The wings are even good for two or three days.

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jalapeno poppers [grilled]
    6 large peppers,split lengthwise,seeded and cored[leave stem on]

About 1/2 lb of your favorite hard cheese, we use colby or monterrey jack, shredded

6 thick slices of your favorite bacon,we use thick cut,cut each in half

Put a heaping amount of cheese on each pepper wrap with a half slice of bacon, you may need a toothpick to hold the bacon in place. Place on the grill on med heat for about 20 min or so, watch to see bacon is done and enjoy.

20. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    I have a recipe for baby back ribs that if followed right, can cut with fork, and no boiling.
    1. 1 cup hawaiin soy sauce. (can use others, but like this one but hard to find.)
    2. 2 cups water
    3. 1/2 cup sugar or to your taste
    4. additives can be chopped onions, bells peppers, (any kind) sage, ect. use your taste buds on this.
    5. mix enough in a pan so ribs are covered and can put in fridge for 4-6 hrs to marinate. cover with foil when doing this.
    6. time to BBQ ( i use gas grill) low heat, just meat on grill now, brown it good. maybe 1/2 hr total. turn often and drip marinate sauce over often to keep meat from drying out.
    7. put back in pan and make sure meat still is covered by marinate. if not, add water if need to. cover pan with foil, poke a few holes in foil and turn BBQ down low. simmer for 1 hr.
    8. remove and serve with rice or whatever your taste buds say to. if done right, can cut with fork.
    gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.