Grilled Cats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BamaCash, Aug 21, 2008.

1. BamaCash

BamaCash New Member

State:
    Alabama
    How do you like to grill your cats?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I either grill 'em in a pot of hot grease, or in the oven smothered in garlic, butter, and lemon pepper. :roll_eyes:

Grilled catfish does sound good, but I've never tried it. Blackened maybe...that sounds good.

Welcome to the BOC BTW!

3. BamaCash

BamaCash New Member

State:
    Alabama
    yep...hopeing for a lot of input from the guys....maybe we can rack up on grill en tips...lol

4. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    I would most definently love grilled catfish come on guys where the tips!?!?!?!?

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Have you ever visited the BOC Diner? It's a good place to check out. It's not all about catfish, but there are catfish recipes too.

6. BamaCash

BamaCash New Member

State:
    Alabama
    trying for a grilled cat thread....That way i can always come here..lol

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    At my camp I keep one of those hinged basket things hanging from a nail, and a stash of olive oil spray, lemon pepper, and garlic salt...hose 'em down with olive oil, season to taste, 3-5 minutes/side over hot oak coals, and enjoy. Quick, easy, very little cleanup.:big_smile:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Even tho this thread will likely be moved to the diner whear it should be ,I'll post one of mine. I like to use a fillet from a cat say around 7-10 lbs,
    coat with olive oil and lightly salt and pepper,sprinkle lemon pepper all over and rub in well,place on grill with inderect heat.
    I like to add some fruitwood chips for a bit of smoke flavor to mine as well. any fruit will do ,apple and cherry are my favorite fish smoking woods.

I cant say how long to cook,I just cook till it flakes .

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Layer sliced potatoes, seasoned catfish fillets, sliced onions, sliced tomatoes and a stick of butter in aluminum foil. Seal it up and cook for about a hour or until potatoes are done. Works just as well in the oven or coals in a camp fire.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Broiled Catfish

Soak overnight in salt water

Use 1/2" thick fillets

Rub with a good grade olive oil

Likely salt and pepper

Sprinkle with Emeril's Original Essence

Sprinkle very liteley with Garlic power

Broil until it flakes about 5 to 7 Min's.

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea, that's the way I do it, except I'm too cheap to buy a grilling baket, I use two small broiling racks wired together w/ the fillets in between them, and like you I coat w/ olive oil then season, then put on the grill. I like grilled catfish. According to Weber's big book of grilling you supposed to coat the fillets (NOT the grill) with oil, season, and then cook the fish directly on the grill and turn them once, but I can never have much luck without the baskets because the fish still seems to stick to the grill. Maybe we have an expert fish griller on here that can tell us how....

12. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I smoke them, I use some melted butter a little seasoned salt or lemon pepper , even garlic salt and smoke them just where you can put your hand on the smoker for a few seconds before you have to pull it off until the fish gets kinda flaky you can tell when its done. This will make you wanna smack your momma and kick your dog.:smile2:

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Larry,If any meat sticks to the grill,it ain't quite ready to turn,It will release itself when the protiens are cooked.

14. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    i grilled some catfish a couple times and i must say it is goooooooooood,i put some lemonpepper and i think some lawreys season salt on it.would recomend trying it if you havn't.just add your favorite spice's and you wont be disapointed!IMO not much different than other grilles fishes so i'm guessing if you like grilled fish you'll like grilled catfish.:0a26:

15. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Thank you all for the good ideas here. Can't wait to try some of them.:big_smile:

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Really?? Heck Richard I figgered if anything I was cookin it too long. Thanks, I'll try it.

17. BamaCash

BamaCash New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm hungreyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:smile2:

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I learned somewhere that any meat will be stuck till just when its time to turn it,theres a short window ,then it will stick by burning to the grates ,Keep a close eye on it and try to lift ,when its ready it will be easy . it takes a lot of practice ,I screw up more often than not :sad2::smile2: