Griggs Reservoir Report - First Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Garrett Cope, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Fished Griggs Thursday Night (9/17) and for once i wasn't shorebound. Tried a new area and finally caught a Flathead there after years and years of Channels only. Wasn't a big one but i'm sure i'll get into some better ones there eventually now that i know the stretch of the reservoir to fish for 'em. Also caught some decent channels and we boated 7 fish total and lost more than that including a few right at the boat. Found a great spot there for monster gills as well (see pic). Thanks Dave for the trip.

Attached Files:

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Well damn Garrett, I generally never put in at Griggs, but if there are Flats in there I might have to rethink things. I'm not trying to steal your spot or anything, but I might have to take the boat out and invite you along for some bait drowning.:big_smile:

3. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    congrads was that gill bait and what did ya do to the channel to make him bleed so bad?

4. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Sounds like a plan to me, Rob! Just give me a shout when you wanna get out there.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Yeah the gill was bait. And when i reeled in that channel i looked at him at said "Gotcha"!. He looked back and croaked "Your MAMA"! Well...them's fightin' words. Needless to say he lost. ACTUALLY.. had no major problems getting the circle hook out of the corner of his mouth. Must have just hooked him in a bad part of his mouth/jaw. Didn't realize he was bleeding so bad at first because i had my red caplight on and couldn't see the blood. Felt it on my arm then realized it was dripping all over the seat and carpet of my host's new boat. Thankfully the seat was easy to wipe up. The carpet....i dunno.:embarassed:

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on the good night of fishing bro.

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    looks like you murdered him with all the blood :big_smile:

8. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thanks for sharing.

9. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    it's good to hear all that work (fishing around ) finely payed off for you bud:cool2:

10. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    You need to give that griggs up for a few nights and get your ass up here and fish with me! Thats 2 good trips you have missed and you know your always invited anytime bro!

11. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I always wondered about Griggs. At one point long ago the Scioto was a free flowing river. Nobody really fishes for flatheads up there. That is a young flathead you got so there are at least two big adults swimming around in there.

12. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    The carpet will be fine. Just take it to a car wash and use the power wash on it. Blast it right away. No problem.

13. f155mph

f155mph New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Garrett,

What part of Griggs do you fish at? Below or about the dam? Secondly and I guess depending on where you fish at.....how do you fish there? Every time I am there, there are a bunch of boaters speeding by.

I usually go north of Hayden. Any other area you recommend for the bank? Lastly what do you use for bait?

Thanks!

14. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I fish mainly above the dam. I generally don't fish there when the boating/ski traffic is heavy. I fish all over the reservoir. Try new areas all the time. Recently the best bait there has been cut bluegill. This time of year i fish deep holes in the day and the shallow flats at night. I haven't fished the area above Hayden run often but the area farther up where it's more river-like is excellent but hard to access from the bank. If you need any more info pm me and i'll try to help. Good luck.