Griggs Reservoir Catfish Report 11/3/08

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Garrett Cope, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Did a few hours of fishing at Griggs for a few hours this afternoon. The past 6 weeks or so i've been trying different spots and different baits there. I've been fishing deeper holes and using live bait (shad,israeli carp,chubs,blue gill) and cut bait (same types plus goldfish and warmouth) and guess what? No matter where i fish there i can't get them to bite on anything but chicken liver. Today's menu was 4"-6" Israeli Carp and 5"-7" Chubs. NOTHING. The last 20 minutes i was there i broke out the liver and the cats went crazy. Still i'm determined to catch some good sized ones on something other than liver. I'll probably be back up there tommorrow. I can get a boatload of liver on a 6/0 circle hook!:wink:

2. Catmaster9786

Catmaster9786 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey ma sounds like a good day. can i ask how deep of water your fishin? I go up there alot and i wonder where the cats are now?

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report, Glad you got some good action at the end. Makes a bad trip better every time

4. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Well...i fished there again today.Tried a different spot (see pic below), depth varied from about 5-8 feet (near the bridge) to around 18-20 (dropoff near the main channel). I started with the liver for bait but soon tired of the nibble,pull and drop routine so i cut a couple of decent sized midsection chunks of shad and casted them toward them deeper water. After a few quiet minutes my line got a good solid jerk and i quickly snatched up the rod and did the slow sweeping circle hookset. I missed him (or so i thought) and started reeling in only to discover i'd hooked the whiskered beast pictured below. I have no idea how all 8 inches or so of him managed to get about half that hunk of shad in his mouth. His entire mouth was stuffed with shad when i first reeled him in. You can see a portion of the bait that he didn't swallow in the pics(it's obscuring his head -the full piece was probably half his body weight). There are some instances where the bigger bait doesn't get the bigger fish i guess! The weather was perfect so i had a good time anyway.

Attached Files:

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Tyler, i've been finding a few deeper spots there but for the last week or so those spots haven't been holding decent sized channels. I do know of a spot there that's around 40' deep usually (around 30' right now with the lack of rain) that i'm gonna hit soon. I also got a tip on a good griggs spot for fall from another catfisherman i ran into there that i'd be glad to share.

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Garrett good luck pretty fish rick

7. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Tried Griggs yet again today (i'm a glutton for punishment i guess) and the final tally for the day was liver 1 shad 1. Well maybe it was more like .1 to.1 cuz the cats (kittens really) were tiny (hence my perplexed expression in the pic).The bigguns seem to be hiding from me. It's just sad i tell ya! Yet another beautiful day to fish though. I'm gonna do some Scioto Flathead chasin' in the next day or two because i fear if i don't catch something of size soon i'll have to change my signature to "Master of baby catfish" or something!

Attached Files:

8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey thats the size i use for bait up here at alum garrett! J/K bro! Congrats on getting out and catchin some!:big_smile:

9. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Yeah yeah Kip. Alum would kick a## if it actually had that thing called WATER in it;). Besides, i'm SLAYIN' more freakin' quarter pounders than McDonald's dude! Who needs a rod 'n reel anyway...i can handle these puppies with a spatula!

10. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Fished a new spot at Griggs today but only for about an hour and a half. My fishing was cut short by a police officer walking down the hill to my spot under the bridge and asking me if i'd seen anybody suspicious hanging out around there. Seems someone (two young thugs according to what i heard) broke into the car parked next to mine in the parking lot. Thankfully they apparently didn't want my little baitfishing rod 'n reel that i'd left in my car (the gas station was out of nightcrawlers so i left it in the car). I left early after that incident but i wasn't getting any bites anyway. Here's a few pics of where i fished but i don't think i'll be going back there anytime soon knowing that the parking lot there isn't safe (Hayden falls area). Oh and check out the graffiti in the one pic "secret fish cave".riiiiiiiight.

Attached Files:

11. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Finally got back out to Griggs today. Fished for (2 hours) just long enough to realize why i haven't gone back for the past week. Constant nibbles but couldn't hook a thing except for one that immediately took me into a snag and was gone. Fished water about 10-15 feet deep. Guess i need to go deeper. Hard to do there from the bank. Always good to get out anyway.:crazy: