Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went out with my cast net to the scioto river below Griggs damn in Franklin county (cols). When i first cast out, the part of the river was very fast flowing, and I cought nothing with my cast net, so i moved to a slower bay area. Looking for shad, i cast out and when it hit the bottom i brought it up. These browish, skinny fish were all over my net:confused2:. They have a sucker-ish mouth so id think they were creek chub or something. they were an average of about 2-3 inches long and if they are probobly creek chub i guess ill use em above the damn for channels :cool2:. So if you have any idea tell me sorry i have no pic. they looked like a baby carp but not as round. if you post a pic of what u think it is ill tell ya :)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Well that is a Creek Chub around here, some are darker and this time of year some are light in color, and I have caught then well over 5-6 inches for bait? Here is another pic of one from here. All be it either one would be great bait I'm sure...

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
log perch creekchub sucker dont ,matter they all will work for bait! the log perch are a bit spiny though.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Today I went out with my cast net to the scioto river below Griggs damn in Franklin county (cols). When i first cast out, the part of the river was very fast flowing, and I cought nothing with my cast net, so i moved to a slower bay area. Looking for shad, i cast out and when it hit the bottom i brought it up. These browish, skinny fish were all over my net:confused2:. They have a sucker-ish mouth so id think they were creek chub or something. they were an average of about 2-3 inches long and if they are probobly creek chub i guess ill use em above the damn for channels :cool2:. So if you have any idea tell me sorry i have no pic. they looked like a baby carp but not as round. if you post a pic of what u think it is ill tell ya :)
There are any number of different spieces of suckers in Ohio streams ... I would be inclined to think it was one of them, a young from last year. They would be about the size you indicated. .... Garry-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the replies... i took one live in a fish tank to study it and the top half of the fish is much darker than the top, and it has more of a sucker mouth when it opens it and when its closed it look like more of a mouth of a shad its kinda wierd lol. it sound like what pshykomekanic said. you have a pic.

i looked at the pics that you other guys put it, deifnatley not them, it had a distincet darker top half and a sucker mouth when opened. thanks for the replys guys it means alot. this website rox :cool2:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you are going to be using your cast net very mcuh you might want to invest in a Fish Identification Book of Fresh water fishes. .... Just a thought .... Garry-:cool2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.