Griggs Dam Mystery!?!?!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Mr. Whisker77, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Mr. Whisker77

Mr. Whisker77 New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Today I went out with my cast net to the scioto river below Griggs damn in Franklin county (cols). When i first cast out, the part of the river was very fast flowing, and I cought nothing with my cast net, so i moved to a slower bay area. Looking for shad, i cast out and when it hit the bottom i brought it up. These browish, skinny fish were all over my net:confused2:. They have a sucker-ish mouth so id think they were creek chub or something. they were an average of about 2-3 inches long and if they are probobly creek chub i guess ill use em above the damn for channels :cool2:. So if you have any idea tell me sorry i have no pic. they looked like a baby carp but not as round. if you post a pic of what u think it is ill tell ya :)

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Alec, they very well could be, sound like it, look like this one?

3. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    no what they are is log perch i been catching them to

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    sorry here a picture does this look like it

Attached Files:

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats a sucker chub. a cross between a chub, and a sucker.. we have them here. Great bait. cut the heads off, and impale a big hook in em'.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well that is a Creek Chub around here, some are darker and this time of year some are light in color, and I have caught then well over 5-6 inches for bait? Here is another pic of one from here. All be it either one would be great bait I'm sure...

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    log perch creekchub sucker dont ,matter they all will work for bait! the log perch are a bit spiny though.

8. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Is this what you guys are calling a sucker chub ? this here is a white sucker

Attached Files:

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    There are any number of different spieces of suckers in Ohio streams ... I would be inclined to think it was one of them, a young from last year. They would be about the size you indicated. .... Garry-

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
  12. Mr. Whisker77

Mr. Whisker77 New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thanks for all the replies... i took one live in a fish tank to study it and the top half of the fish is much darker than the top, and it has more of a sucker mouth when it opens it and when its closed it look like more of a mouth of a shad its kinda wierd lol. it sound like what pshykomekanic said. you have a pic.

i looked at the pics that you other guys put it, deifnatley not them, it had a distincet darker top half and a sucker mouth when opened. thanks for the replys guys it means alot. this website rox :cool2:

13. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    might be a quillback they look like a half carp and half sucker or a stoneroller

14. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    go to the ohio dnr site and you can find them click on fish and then non sportfish has all types of minnows there

15. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    If you are going to be using your cast net very mcuh you might want to invest in a Fish Identification Book of Fresh water fishes. .... Just a thought .... Garry-:cool2: