Griffy VS Bonds

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by CatMaster23, Jul 9, 2007.

1. CatMaster23

CatMaster23 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Griffy or Bonds I want to know who you guys think is the better all around player.

And also if Griffy was not injured so much would he be in the chase for hank arron's record?

2. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    Griffey is a better ball player....Bonds is a slugger (Steroid enhanced). I also think Bonds is a WIMP for not participiating in the home run derby. I Also hope Atlanta pitches him out so that he wont break Aarons record in Atl

3. CatMaster23

CatMaster23 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Wow fast reply I agree 100 percent i guess it is because i AM a reds fan and an even bigger griffy fan

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I adored Griffey Sr. and the son is a class act. I wish that Bonds would be walked until he retires. It is sad. I saw Hank Aaron at a Columbus Clippers game when I was a kid and he was a class act. I hate to see Bonds go into the history books like that but I guess that is just a personal thing. I hope Albert Puholz stays in it long enough to eclipse the record.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Griffey is a much better ballplayer. If Griffey had not been injured so much during his prime, his numbers would have been much better and he would be right around 700 home runs. We've seen what 40+ year old ballplayers can do. If he can manage to stay healthy and continue his power production, he might have an outside shot at passing Aaron and maybe Bonds (whatever he finished with). Belive it or not, I am not a Griffey fan, just a fan of the game. If Pujols can stay healthy and continue with his production, it is scary to think of where he will be 15 years from now :crazy:

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'd like to know what happen to my post in reply to Smuggo's post! Can any of you moderaters that may read this shed some light on it?

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    bonds has the record, but i like griffey better. there is no speculation or media hype. hes been one of the greats ever since i was a little kid, and its great to see him still out there and starting in the all star game.

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    while watching the all-star game last night... i too decided that Griffey is a better all around ball player (not that it wasnt obvious b4). i have never really liked Bonds, mostly because of the way he "struts" away from the plate after he hits a dinger. It's like every time he hits one he acts like it is his first. you would think after that many homers he would get over himself.

However, i dont think it is fair to single him out for roids. everybody knows that he has taken them, but he is far far from alone. the stats of the game can tell you that either the average of players using performance enhancing drugs is higher than suggested, or they really do put more chemicals in the chicken we all eat. i cant believe that athletes are born and bred better now than they were 50 years ago. much less 15 years ago. but that is just my thoughts on it. and im no doc.

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    don't like baseball..don't watch it..but i can tell you this with certainty; bonds is a cheater..if griffey doesn't cheat then he is a better athelete

10. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Phil,
    I agree with you that Bonds is a cheater (by using steroids). That is why I will never acknowledge him as the all time Home Run leader. Without the aid of the steroids,he couldn't carry Aaron's jock! JMO There is no doubt that when you talk about pure baseball talent,there is no comparison between Griffey and Bonds. Griffey is a much better athlete than Bonds.
    Glenn

11. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Griffey is a hell of a ball player if he would of been healthy his whole carrer his numbers would be amazing. The kid was in the majors when he was 18 or 19. The guy to break the record next should be Alex Rodriguez he still got some good years left. Dont be suprised if Bonds plays another year or two because of his inflated ego.

12. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im glad to see that no one actually had the gall to say Bonds is the better ball player. Without a doubt its Jr. Thats like comparing Pujols and Jack Clark. Remember him? We probably wouldnt remember Bonds much more than that if he wasnt a junkie!! JMO GO CARDS!!!!!!:big_smile:

13. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    No contest, Griffey is a far better player and a much more likable person. It kills me to say it under the present circumstances (with him playing for Yankees and all) but I hope that A-Rod breaks the record someday (preferably in a Red Sox uniform) JMO.

14. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    actually, Glenn, i used to watch some....the pure athletes are a pleasure to watch regardless of the sport. Nolan Ryan is a baseball player that i will never forget...as is Michael Jordan in basketball...Tiger Woods, and several others in various sports..the cheaters deserve for their names to be stricken from the record book and stat sheet and should ever live in infamy.

15. RobotCatfish

RobotCatfish New Member

State:
    California
    We all know that Bonds is roid case with an inflated ego... How does someone that weights about 170# go to a ripped monster of about 220-240#? Check out the pic I attached of Bonds when he was on the Pirates :eek:oooh:

I would have to say that Griffey is a better player than Bonds hands down. I have a definate love for baseball, Hell, I even live 30 minutes from the Giants ballpark and I will not go and see the Giants play (I'm an A's fan anyhow - which I have went to see about 10 games this year).

Being from the area, it just seems like the Giants fans rely on Bonds to win the game when in fact it is a team effort (I hear it alot since I'm in the area). I think that Bonds will stick around for another year or so, and it's obvious that SF is definately is using him as the novelty item to draw the crowds. If he does decide to go longer than that, he's going to end up in the AL as a DH for a team that will actually fork over a ton of $ just for an over paid, washed up player - just because they desperately need to draw a crowd.

Attached Files:

16. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Being from sw ohio my opinion is a little biased but Griffey is the better player hands down.He is also a class act.

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    wow from the looks of that pic i still have a chance. oops, but wait. i prefer other parts of me to stay the same size. maybe thats why bonds has such a high voice.

18. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like them both. But what I really don't understand is that both are destine for the Hall of Fame. Bonds is going to make it for breaking the record but he used drug enhancers. But Pete rose gets voted not to ever make the Hall of Fame for betting on the game. I will give it to you that was wrong for betting, but that was as a manger not a player. As a player I think he should be able to get into the Hall of Fame.

19. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Couldnt agree more.

20. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Griffey hands down is one of the best players to play the game when he was in his prime. If it wasn't for the injuries, he'd be right up there with Bonds today. For a "small" guy, he had the sweetest and most efficient swing I've ever seen in terms of generating power vs player size. Let's not forget his multiple gold gloves and highlight reel catches in CF for the Mariners.

I think Barry Bonds was better as a skinny guy than a masher, because he was a solid athlete that could play the OF and run the bases. The steroids made him one-dimensional.

As for who I think has the best shot at beating the mark....A-Rod. Another fantastic athlete with an efficient swing.

I have to add...my favorite player growing up was Mark McGwire.:crazy: My favorite team was the A's, I played 1B and had good power when I was playing, so it was just natural to root for this guy. I tried to emulate the guy. I think had he stuck around, he would have the record now, and Bonds would be shooting for him. But it shames me to say, I think he juiced. His silence on this matter speaks volumes about his guilt.