Grey Squirrels and Red Squirrels

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by oh no, Apr 4, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a question. For the past 30 years I have lived here, we have only had red squirrels at our bird feeders.. This past winter we have had some gray ones show up.

Is this something I should worry about. I have about 7 acres of mature pin and red oaks that they are living in. I don't know if they will present a problem or not. Both red and gray are at the feeder at times. They seem to get along.

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i think the only thing i would worry about is do i want them fried or make dumplings out of them.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Don't think you will jave any problems Jim. A squirrel is a squirrel. They usually don't live together. I have heard of them cross breeding though. Maybe they do live together. LOL

4. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Ames;
    Jim, I don't think you have anything to worry about, the squirrels are simply going to where they find the food.
    It's been a bit of a weird winter, especially in some areas of the country, and animals are simply migrating to the food sources. I have the same thing happen with the Grey Squirrels around here where I live.
    Not to worry, get your camera, or your rifle out, whichever you prefer and what your States Laws will allow, and have fun.
    Hope this helps you.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    not sure here you see more greys than you due reds

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    No worries, they do just fine together.Some places you go you just might see reds others greys and like you sometimes together.There shouldnt be any problems as long as theres food they will all come around for a free meal.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd only worry about which ones to invite for supper[for me ]:wink:

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They do live together well. And breed together. around here we're seeing a lot of fox squirells with white bellys because of the intermixing.. the only thing is. they get smaller the more they breed with greys..

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Here where I live we have red, gray and BLACK squirrels. The black squirrels were introduced from somewhere else in the USA. Not sure where. Anyhow all the squirrels seem to get along just fine. My father-in-law feeds them constantly and has all color varieties of squirrels together. :0a26:

Mark..

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have seen those black squirrels about a mile from my place. Maybe I'll have them beggars too before long. lol

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We have both here but it seems the greys are in thickets more than fox squirrles. Fox tend to hang out in woodlots, fencerows and such. I know from experience a grey is born wild as heck and they are more nervious it seems. A 1/2 grown fox is some mity fine vittles.

12. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I dont think there will be any problems with the greys and reds. The only time I have seen squirrels have a problem is when a big fox squirrel would come around and try to run the show.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have read where Grey squirrels have crowded out other Squirrel species here and other countries where they have been introduced.They do it very slowly and may take a century.It was claimed that they are more adaptable to our forestry changes and urbanization.I think England and Scotland are having a time with them.Being they gave us the Red Fox,Starlings and English Sparrows,I think that they deserve them.Makes sense.They will even move into your house with you.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee