Grey Hounds and Rabbits

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by GrainDrain, Feb 12, 2006.

1. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have any of yall ever gone rabbit hunting with grey hounds?

My family owns quite a few hounds(10-20) depending on the time of the year. We go out on farmers c.r.p all the time and let them run them down. We have a few grey hounds that we use just for cyotes, but mostly for the jack rabbits we have around the panhandle of texas.

2. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    No but I wouldn't want to try and keep up with them. lol

I have alway been told that the Beagles are the best rabbit dogs because they drive the rabbits in a natural circle back to you. They are awesome sent dogs and they can follow them into most cover.

3. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    When we go we sometimes bring our Black Mouth Curr(SP). to alert us when there is a rabbit near, the grey hounds are not that great of smellers, but have awsome sight.

Ya we dont run after them either, we have other guys in the truck waiting to hual arse after them, and the walkers(people who have the grey hounds on lease to keep them from running after birds or cotton tail) just wait for them to come get us. The whole race takes about 6-8 minutes and can be around 4-5 miles at times.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    How in the heck do you get a shot at a rabbit being chased by a greyhound?:confused: :confused:

5. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    You dont, they dog pile it and kill it. Like when they race them professionaly they just chase them, but in real life they trip them up and dog pile them. Pretty fun to watch we do the same thing with the greyhound+irish wolfhounds with coyotes.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive always wanted to let my italian greyhound(very small greyhound) loose but Ive been told her skin is so thin she'd get ripped to shreds by thorns. Id love to see them dogs running though that sounds like a blast.