Greetings, New to the Site

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Reich138, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Reich138

Reich138 New Member

State:
    Columbus/Dublin, Ohio
    Hey everybody, I've been reading this site for a long time now, but I've never posted. There are loads of great information here, though, so I figured I'd sign up. A little background on me: I live in Columbus (right by Hayden Falls on the Scioto) I've been fishing since I was a ten, and you think 15 years of experience would give me some skills, but not in my case. Really, I'm more of an aquarist than a fisherman, in the sense that I don’t eat fish and while catching big fish is awesome, the fish I try to catch are to put in my aquarium, so I look for small to moderate sized fish usually.

This is probably going to end up long and rambling, and I apologize.

I have a 200 gallon aquarium and it has, it this time a thin one foot largemouth bass, 4 large sunfish of various types, some smaller sunfish, a rock bass, a number of bullheads of various sizes and some 6-8", stupid minnows that I intend to use as bait.

I want to catch a couple of channels, preferably less than 20" and a flathead and blue of similar size. I also occasionally see on here that people often catch gar and view them as a pest. I'd LOVE to catch a gar and any advice on how and where to do so would be most appreciated.

The problem I've had is that since I started fishing again, about 8 months ago, other than bullheads, I've caught a grand total of THREE catfish. A 14" channel which would have been perfect, except he’d been gnawed on by something and was injured internally by swallowing the hook and died shortly after being put in the aquarium, a 15 pound channel who ate most of the fish in my aquarium and uprooted all the plants and generally pissed me off until I let him go and what must have been the world's largest channel. It broke my 30-pound test braided line so all I saw was his head and it was more than twice the size of the 15 pounder.

So, in central Ohio, what advice can any of you give me on how, where and when to catch smaller catfish, gar and whatever other interesting fish dwell in the waterways around here? Any help is appreciated, because time is running out before it gets too cold. Also, I have no boat.

Thanks a lot and happy hunting!

-Paul

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Welcome to the site, if you are after small channels and gar the little miami is a great spot for that. i am not sure how far away it would be from you, but it may be worth the trip if that is what you are after. The little miami is full of small channels that can be taken with livers or a simple night crawler. I have caught gar in the little miami (small gar) just from a simple rooster tail. Good luck

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC from Arkansas!

4. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    welcome to the boc, if you are looking for small channels id go to either alum or griggs, fish with liver or nightcrawlers, should get you some smaller channels, as far as gar gar go ? ive only ever caught 1 and that was long ago lol

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Welcome aboard Paul.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome Aboard!

7. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC.

8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the boc!

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Paul,

Welcome to the BOC from So.Alabama

10. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Welcome aboard Paul!

11. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Paul! GLAd you decided to join us! :big_smile:

12. FDR

FDR New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cincinnati
    Welcome to the BOC

13. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Paul. I live on the westside and fish Griggs all the time. I'd be glad to meet you up there sometime to get some channels. I know some great spots for 'em there. As for the Gar i've got two words for ya...GREENLAWN DAM. Plenty of those pesky bait stealers there. Use small live shad,sunfish or minnows (they love shiners) and it's best to use a nylon or steel leader to keep 'em from biting thru your line. They're very elusive but i'd say under the dam there is the best spot locally i know of. I've pulled a few from there (unintentionally) myself and i've seen alot of others catch 'em too.

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome to the boc

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    your way you might try big darby creek your way also for small catfish rick

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member