Greenwood lake boat ramps

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rookietocatfish, Aug 21, 2008.

1. rookietocatfish

rookietocatfish New Member

State:
    south carolina
    does anybody know if any ramps are open since they have pulled the water down to fix the dam? I heard they pulled it 25 foot???

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Man how rumors get blown out of porportion.:smile2:

If they pulled 25 foot out of Greenwood there would litterally be nothin left.Theres not much water deeper than 20 foot the entire upper half of the lake.

Its down 4 foot right now and all the ramps are still open that I know of.

3. rookietocatfish

rookietocatfish New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks Chris are they working on the dam or is that a rumor to?

4. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    No. The Lake Greenwood Dam Project has NOT started yet. Y'all are right though, the lake is down 4-5 feet. If the lake was down 25ft, it would probably be considered river-run. The deepest part of the lake that I've found so far is 65ft.

The only closed boat ramp that I know of at Greenwood is the boat ramp in the state park. Not the one on campground 2....The other one, beside the picnic shelter. The state park officials have closed it because they're going to extend it. Several vehicles have gotten stuck on that particular ramp this summer because it's not long enough for some of these bigger boats. If y'all are looking for a NICE ramp to put in on, check out the new one at Riverfork Road in Waterloo, off of Hwy 72. It's a long ramp on deep water. I've put in a pontoon there several times with NO trouble whatsoever. Hope all this info helps.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    They are gone work on it but I'm about 99% sure they are not gonna have to lower it to do what they have to do.

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I visited Greenwood lake yesterday and its low! There are no official word of ramps closed per say. But I can tell ya I will only use the State Park ramp as the others too dangerous for my taste and wallet!:crazy:

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I heard they were working on the dam last week down there and when they sent divers down they came back up and said......

8. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    And said" Heres on of WylieCats leaders he broke off!:smile2:

9. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Don't go telling any tall tales, Dieter. Our dam cats are only as big as horses. Lake Wylie's got those pickup truck size cats that can swallow a man. And pop, what do you mean you "visited" Lake Greenwood yesterday? You live close enough to hear the fish jump!

10. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    [ And pop, what do you mean you "visited" Lake Greenwood yesterday? You live close enough to hear the fish jump![/quote]

Yeap!:smile2: Sometimes when I hear'em at night I can't sleep for thinking about'em.:smile2: So I drink a few "Man Colas" for a sleep aid.:smile2::smile2:

11. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    I pulled my pontoon out of the ramp at Greenwood state park campground #2 yesterday. Dang trailer fell off the ramp and bent the fender wells on both sides then I had to put the truck in 4 wheel drive to get the pontoon and trailer over the concrete ledge. I think it drops off about a foot at the end of the concrete.

12. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Just a "few?" LOL!

13. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    That happened to us when we put the boat in, Chris. I'm thankful that I had an empty trailer. I don't know how it went when they left, but I didn't get a call, so I guess everything went OK. Alright folks, I'll tell you a little-known fact, where a deep-water ramp is. It's the public boat ramp on Hwy 34 near Buzzard's Roost (Lake Greenwood dam). I know, I know....You're wondering, "If it's public, then people must know about it." Y'all would be suprised. On any given day during the summer, you'll see no more than five or six trucks and boat trailers in the parking lot, and there's a WHOLE helluva lot more parking than that over there. For you out-of-towners, it's on Hwy 34 (past the 702 intersection) going toward Newberry SC, on the left, before you get to the dam. I'll probably put in right there this coming weekend. :0a26: