Greenup Pool

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by WV_Catfisherman, Jul 17, 2009.

1. WV_Catfisherman

WV_Catfisherman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    hello. what a great website. im new to the BOC and its nice to be able to talk to locals about the fishing around here. i just got me a boat last week, needs a little work before its river ready, and am ready to get off the bank and start fishing. i live 5 minutes from the guyandotte boat dock, so im starting to get excited. my bro-in-law is wanting to go to the greenup pool and fish, and we dont know where it is. any help/directions you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. ive never caught a big catfish from the river so am wanting to hook into one. also any suggestions for bait to use would be great. thanks alot.

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Just Wanted to Say Welcome to the Boc :wink:

3. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    Welcome to the BOC

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "my bro-in-law is wanting to go to the greenup pool and fish, and we dont know where it is."

Welcome to the BOC,,, Now, are you ready to feel silly?? You live right beside it.

Yep, no kidding. Everything from the Greenup locks up to the RC Byrd( Gallipolis locks) IS the Greenup Pool.

Now, if you are looking for the Greenup Locks and Dam,,, just hop the river, hang a left onto Ohio 52 and you will run right into it. The dam has a bridge that goes over the river to Greenup KY. The fishing area is on the Ohio side. http://www.lrh.usace.army.mil/projects/locks/gro/

5. WV_Catfisherman

State:
    West Virginia
    been livin here my whole life and have never heard this stretch of river called the greenup pool. thanks for heads up. anywhere in particular you would recommend we fish? up river or down from the guyandotte boat dock? i would like my first trip out on the boat to be a successful one. were thinking of taking bluegills and some goldfish. i dont have any where right now to put out a minnow trap. any suggestions on places to fish or bait please let me know. thanks,

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Why not fish the Guyandotte? Some darn good fishing in there, just gotta be careful at night. Lots of young punks in that area that like to throw rocks off the bridges...:angry:
    If fishing the big river i'd look for any kind of structure and fish it. Use the biggest gills you can get and cut gills, shad, skipjack.

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Why not fish the Guyandotte?"

Darn it son, don't give away all our secrets!!:wink::smile2:

"up river or down from the guyandotte boat dock?"

First trip? Always go up river.( a good idea anytime) That way if your craft has problems you can float back down to where you launched.

I would highly recommend a "shake down cruise" before you do a fishing trip. Daylight, good weather, plenty of time, take tools.
    IF everything works right, you can call it a scouting trip.:wink:

Maybe run up the Gdotte aways first. (decent depth up to the Russell creek bridge) that way IF something breaks, you can get back in fairly easy.
    Trust me, broke down and/or sinking midstream of the Ohio with a barge bearing down on you is no fun! Been there, done that.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I mean for Gar & Drum its a good place....:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yes, yes, Gar and Drum,,, small ones,,, and not many!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Lots & lots of snags also....:eek:oooh::wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. WV_Catfisherman

State:
    West Virginia
    would like to get some shad and skipjacks to fish with. what and where is the best way to catch them? thanks for all your help guys. other than my bro-in-law i dont really know anyone else who fish's, so after i get my boat running if anybody wants to take a fishing trip with me, just let me know. 2 people could fish easily from the boat.

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    You are going to have to work for your shad, snagging or a cast net is the way to go for that. I only have one reliable shad spot right now, so sorry, I am not going to give that up.

While you are out and about, watch for the Stripers busting them, hard to miss, lots of commotion on the surface. When you see that happen in the same place a couple few times,,, there you go.

I haven't chased the Skippies so someone else will have to fill you in on that. We have sections of the board for those topics, like the rest of the board, they have lots of good info.

Whatcha got for a boat?? You never said.