Greenup L&D Get-Together 9-10-09

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by catfishjohn, Sep 9, 2009.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    A few of us are gonna be getting together at the Greenup L&D(OH side) tomorrow evening(9-10) and all night for a bait getting, catfishing, BS session.:big_smile::cool2:
    We'll probably get there early evening & stay till sometime the next morning.
    Any of you are invited to come down and join us, we'll be hanging out somewhere down over the hill.
    Hope to see some of you there!!!:wink::cool2:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    ohio side?

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If the fish bite like they did a year ago we should have a blast.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Yes, I put that in the post.:roll_eyes::tounge_out:
    Lot better chance of getting bait & cats over there. If I can make it over the hill then I know you can...:eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It's not to bad going down, but coming back out with a bait cooler full of shad and skippies is a chore.:wink: Been there and done that already.:smile2::smile2:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

:smile2: That was a chore! I wondered if we was ever gonna make it back up that day...:eek:oooh:
    I know i'll be packing light, only the bare necessities for this trip...:cool2:

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i better pass on it,but good luck guys:roll_eyes:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

It won't be the same without you, come down for a little while...:roll_eyes: Who else can clear the bank if there are a bunch of people there???:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::crazy::smile2:

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hope the rain misses us
    Jake

10. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    son if i went to all the trouble of coming down i'd go with you guys my knee would sue me coming back up:smile2:

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wishing you guys a great get together. Have fun catch some skips and a few fish. I know you will be spreading some bull.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks Mickey!
    I'm hoping the skips are running, haven't got any this year and need some for the colder months. This time last year we tore the skips up down there, hopefully it'll be the same this year.
    Yes, the bull will be deep, may have to wear my waders...:smile2:

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    If I get on the road now I should make it with time to spare!! :smile2: Good luck and will be waiting for the report. Don't release all that BS into the water!! :wink:

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    We had a blast last year even if it took a while to get back up the hill. John ended up looking like a Indian from all the sun that day.:smile2::smile2: I hope the rain misses us too Jake.
    Mickey
    I hope we catch a lot of fish and enough bait to get by on.:wink::smile2::smile2:
    Guys we'll try not to release all the Bull in the river or the EPA would get us for polluting I'm sure.

15. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I'm definitely gonna try to come. I need directions on where y'all are meeting, I've not fished there before. Also a little advice on what I need to bring to catch the skips, that's another thing I've not done before. I'm a bad amateur so you guys can laugh at me when I build giant birdsnests on the bank. Is everyone targeting flatties only, or is it an all out catfest? Thanks for the invites and any advice you can give this poor boy.:smile2:

16. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Well I see that Ken is gonna be there around 4pm. I get off from work at 3:00pm and can be there around 4-4:30. Is there anything that I can bring for bait? There's a local bait shop next to my house that has gills, goldfish, carp, shrimp, crawlers, just about anything you can think of. Y'all let me know and I'll be glad to bring whatever anyone needs.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Go across the Jesse Stuart bridge and when you get almost to the end there will be a road on the left. Turn there and follow it over the hill. You'll see a gravel parking lot to the right, just park in there. Straight over the hill is the river, we'll be somewhere down there. If you get there after dark we'll have a fire going. Just holler one of our names,,,well just holler,,,we'll probably answer to anything...:roll_eyes::smile2:

For Skippies, a Sabiki Rig or small curly tail jigs will work. Minnows will also work. Ken usually uses some jigs that he makes(If he has extra thats what I wanna use:roll_eyes::smile2:).

We won't laugh at you for the bird nests, we'll laugh with you.:roll_eyes::smile2: Don't worry about that, we've all done it and still do some. We'll share any knowledge with ya, may not do any good but we'll share.:smile2:

We'll probably be fishing for anything that'll bite. I'm planning on bringing a bait rod and 1 cat pole. Most of my time will probably be trying for bait & maybe a catfish.

Remember you can only use 2 poles at a time in OH.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Bring whatever you want. I have a few frozen gills i'm gonna bring and am gonna try to get shad & skippies there. Bring lots of lead & hooks, TONS of snags down there!!! :crazy:

19. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I was gonna let everyone know, a guy I work with in Huntington has been catching skippies at a locks somewhere up in West Virginia. He also caught an 8lb flattie using one. Hopefully if they're running in WV there running in Greenup.:wink:

20. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I target catfish, If it has a flathead it just all the better. I'll have some extra bait rigs. I always take more gear than I need to. I'm bringing some frozen shad and maybe some shrimp if there is some in the freezer. I hope to catch some fresh bait tomorrow evening before dark.