greenup BLUES

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by misterwhisker, Sep 25, 2008.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    does the greenup pool hold good numbers of blues or would it be best to head down river around cinnci? sure would love to get into some of that action. thanks for any info.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Not sure about good numbers but last weekend below the Greenup L&D junior42 caught 1 about 2#'s. I've been told their in there but haven't seen many or heard of many being caught. If you have a boat they may be easier to locate than being bank bound.

3. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    The best blue cat fishing in from Cincinnati (Markland Pool) into Indiana. That is where you will get the big ones.

All Ohio River pools west of Cincinnati are good.

4. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    thanks BG CAT i will give the markland pool a shot

5. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I totally agree! We fish the meldahl pool and we do catch Blues. Very rarely to we catch huge #s of blues but when we go to indiana, you better bring lots of bait. In the past 2 years we have probably around 90 fishing trips bluecatin and my personal best here for me is about 30 lbs. Same goes for my Uncle (Kataddict). We go on one indiana trip per year due to fuel prices and the last time we went we got one close to 39 pounder and one that bottomed our 50lb scale out. I would say the fish was pretty close to 50 though it was teetering between 48 and 50 but when it settled down the scale read 50. Were going again soon and I can't wait!!! I will try to post a pic of the 50 lbr if I can find it.

Attached Files:

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    oh i forgot to ask, cut bait is the way to go yes?

7. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    Shad or Skip Jack herring are very good baits.

8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I live down in Indiana so I get the chance to fish for these monsters all the time and you guys are right, some of the best bloue cat fishing in the region is right here. down by markland dam is very good and even above it is extremely good as well. And I normally catch most of my blues on like you said, shad and skipjack. I do better for blues personally with them being whole and alive in the warm months, and in the cold months cut a certain way. And I also catch a lot of blues on bluegill as well. People normally associated gills with being a very good flat bait but I have come to find that they work real well for blues as well. And my personal best blue ever came off of a 14 inch sucker chub. So blues eat chubs too. Pretty well any fish that a blue can get in their mouth, they will eat