Greensboro Area Info

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by katsandsuds, Sep 17, 2008.

1. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hey guys, I am trying to find out which lakes (or rivers) in the Greensboro area are the best for catfish numbers and size.

I have been fishing alot on the Dan and Mayo river with a couple of guys, and only catching small "fiddlers." Hit up Belews lake Friday night with minimal success, couple of 2-3 lb channels.

Thanks for the help

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    there are several lakes in Greensboro area, Like any other lake you need to fish it to find the "hot spots." Most lakes you need a boat to get around because of limited access to bank fishing. There are several people her on The boc that live in your area, if you call the parks and rec dept they will be more than happy to give you any info on location and if they have boat rentals. There is old city lake in Jamestown that has boat rentals, you will need to bring a trolling motor and battery. jeff

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Lake Brandt, Lake Higgins and Lake Townsend all have a good population of channel cats. Lake Higgins has white cats as well.

Moving out Lake Reidsville produces some good channel cats and Oak Hollow Lake in High Point has blues, channels and the occasional flathead. Salem Lake in Winston Salem has some good cats and some big flatheads come out every now and again.

As Jeff said most of these lakes require a boat but many of them will rent a boat if you have a motor. Both the curb market and the bait store near Lake Brandt rent small outboards that can be used on the city owned Jon boats at the marina.

If you fish Brandt you can catch decent shad near either one of the railroad trestles and good channels are near structure on most of the old creek beds. I have also had good luck fishing the big mud flat at the upper part of the left arm of Lake Brandt past the old trestle. Nice place to bowfish for carp as well.

4. bettadaze

bettadaze New Member

State:
    Burlington,NC
    What about Oak Hollow Park, and the Deep River? Looks good on the map.:wink:

5. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks guys for the help. We did hit up salem lake in June, couple of guys with oars, and managed several 1-2 lb fish. It is amazing how having a son a few months ago has gotten me back into many things I loved so much as a kid.:big_smile:

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    if your catching 1-2lb fish you might need to upsize your bait. just smaller than hand size baitfish, alive,cut and filets is what I use. you would be suprised at how small of a catfish will bite that. once it gets cold Mac says scale it down a little...hook and bait. but these catfish didnt get big eating chiken liver and worms, can you imagin how much a 30lb cat would have to eat? right now I'm useing 9/0 circle hooks for most and Khale for flatheads. if they cant bite that then they need to just swim on by:wink:
    I havnt fished the lakes Riddle mentioned but heard good things about several.

congrats on son

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    High Rock on the Yadkin is about an hour down 85 from you. It has great numbers of channel cats and some really big flatheads. Might be worth looking investing some time. It is full of bait.

8. koking20

koking20 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey i used to live in greensboro and the best luck i ever had was in the deep river and i was bank fishing out in randleman its been prolly been three years now so i dont know what kind of changes have been made since they built the dam its hard to find a good spot so you have to scout around but there is some nice ones out there good luck man

9. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yadkin chain hands down, the rock, tuckertown, badin to tillery. Lots of big catfish caught on those lakes.

10. j simpson

j simpson New Member

State:
    nc
    Tillery and badin lake would be a great choice for some big cats depends on where you live shouldn't be to far