Green worms

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by goingfishin, Dec 31, 2007.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I have heard that green worms work really well in the spring time but I have not had the chance to try them out. A friend told me that after a big rain strom and the creeks go back down you can go dig in the silt that the high waters pushed up; around bends and find them. Does anyone know anything more about finding them?

2. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    I really havent heard of green worms but the is a lady here that injects a dye in the worms that makes them glow in the dark. They are a grite floresent green color. And they really glow in the dark. The dye dosent hurt them but I tried them once at nite and they are really cool looking. Any way hope you find your green worms.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I know exactly what you're talking about. I dig them in the dry/moist sand on the banks of the Ohio River. They smell like poop and look like little redworms(but green) and curl up when you get them. I have a few places I can get them Nightcrawler size. Those are my favorite but if you just get small ones use 2-4 on a hook. Have a rag handy, the juice that comes out is "FUNKY"!!!

Me and a couple buddies go several times a year, Spring and Summer and dig them up. Never tried digging for them any other times. Every time we get them we end up catching fish. Blues, Channels and even Flats love them and will tear them up everytime they are used. Bad thing is every other fish does also...:smile2:

Anymore questions, just ask and I'll try to help out.:wink::big_smile:

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The only ones I have ever seen were the ones injected with the dye, never knew there were actually green worms?? Its funny, what my neighbors must think of me in the spring and summer, in the front yard with my headlamp on after a rain digging for worms..:big_smile: I guess I am "that guy" in the neighborhood..:eek:oooh::smile2:

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    green worms are great catfish bait all year.In dry years they can be hard to find . Just take care not to get the juice in your eyes, and don't let children mess with them.

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i haven't used green worms in years. Hoot and i use to dig them around the chicken house. they were funky but good bait. Around here our fiddle worms have a blue glow in the dark. They are great bait and you can break them in half and bait two hooks. some are two feet long.

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Clifton---Green river worms (not the store bought kind) are killer bait. Take Dale's advice and keep 'em away from kids and your eyes. They are FOUL smelling creatures, and the only way I've found to get the stink off your hands is washing them with toothpaste.

8. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    look for a bunch of little holes in the bank after the water goes back down. an if you dig there you will find them. they are a great bait out do my fishing partner every time i use them. hope this helps.

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hey Larry
    Welcome to the BOC.
    So where are you from?
    Thanks for the tip. last year while fishing the Iowa I watched a catfish work the bank where there were many small holes.
    The fish was actually raising its head above the water and sucking the bank.
    Never seen that before.

I've a few buddies that use green worms.
    The only ones I know that know where to dig them have cabins on the river so spend a lot of time there.
    Never tried them myself.
    welcome again
    just

10. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    I just knew u were going to see this post :smile2:.

11. catfishlarryiowa

catfishlarryiowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hi i'm from Council Bluffs i fish the Mo. river mostly but fish lakes sometimes.where are you from?

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Mt Pleasant.
    Home of xgovernor Tom Vilsack.
    SE about 30 miles from the Mississippi.
    the best to ya
    just

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

you bet they are i dig them up alot around here. great bait when the river is on the rise.

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

those are night crawlers with a dyye job

15. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i should start selling them..lol

16. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    dont know what a green worm is, but ive seen worms injected with green dye to make em glow in the dark.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

What you saw was crawlers fed with a green dye. The Green worms are found in the sandy/moist river bank soil. They stink really bad!!!

18. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    My Grandpa was the best fisherman I ever known when he was alive. The best memories of my childhood are the 2 weeks each summer I would spend with him. We fished every day for them 2 weeks on his boat. It was my only time in a boat all year. The first order of business every morning was go dig green worms in the sandy river banks. Then off to lake Perry to fish. We always caught lots of fish on them green worms. I haven't used them since but they sure worked back then. I miss ya Grandpa.

19. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Warcraft-----The first time you encounter a green river worm you will become a believer. If the looks don't convince you, the stench will. The only thing these foul creatures have in common with dyed nightcrawlers, is the number of legs.

20. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

yeppa i know all about green worms. i have used them my whole life.my river banks around are full of them here. i said i should sell since so many people want them and know one has them.