The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Academy yesterday to buy terminal tackle and decided to buy a bit of bait.
In the worms cooler, the have three fifferent kinds. “Large red” (not large by any definition)), Nightcrawlers . And the ones in question, GREEN worms?!?

Why dye worms?

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To catch fishermen?!!

...W
No doubt. If, for no other reason, for curiosity sake.
I did find some older threads here about seemingly naturally occurring green worms. But the box these come in clearly say they are dyed.
And I have heard that fish are color blind, seeing only in shades of black, grey, white.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Some people swear by them. I have never tried them. It only takes a couple of locals to have good catches, then an epidemic breaks out.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Neon green ones work excellent for me. I only use them for bait fishing but when I fish them side by side with regular Canadian crawlers its not even close. I have literally thrown both in the same area and caught over 20 gills on the glow worms and less than 5 on regular crawlers. I'm quite sure its something else added to them to entice a bite. I thought I might be crazy but I've used them in Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Illinois, NY and Virginia. Even on different bodies of water in each state. I always buy a box of glow worms and regulars to make sure and its the same results each time.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My oldest grandson (Isaiah) and I went to Overholser today.
He was using the green dyed worms, I hooked up a regular crawler and a goldfish.
He caught a channel cat and I caught diddly. Even the goldfish didn’t attract any attention. He was in the water on a 6/0 Kahle hook for 7 hours. When we got ready to leave, that darn goldfish was still alive and active. Tough little beggar (not that he was really that small, but “little beggar” just a phrase I often use).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've never used the glow worms but can see the value of them, I imagine that the green coloration really increases visibility. It's anecdotal, but any time I use chartreuse plastics it really attracts a lot of different fish species.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Sounds like what I call nitro worms, neon green dyed nightcrawlers? They would make a difference at times for us. What I call green worms were skinny stinky worms we dug up on a big river bank. They also could up the catching but idk???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many places, including here, Catalpa Worms which are green are very popular for small eater cats. When you said green worms that is what I first thought you meant. I guess that the color could make a difference but think the smell is a lot more important. Haven't actually used worms in a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts