Green Worms

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by seagreen, Jun 22, 2006.

1. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    I went fishing with Green NightCrawlers the other day and couldnt get my poll in the water quick enough for the cats. I heard they make the worms green by feeding them a special fertilizer, anyone know for sure how its done and/or have experience using them

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i've used them before too but i was told that it was the type of bedding they were in that gave them that greenish tint

3. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My buddy finds them in his "secret spot" He won't even let me know where he finds them they work so good!!!

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    They had them around here for awhile. They were caled "Nitro Worms". I tried them a couple of times. I caught fish, but then, I always catch fish when I use nite crawlers! They were rather expensive compared to regular night crawlers and I dont see them in local bait shops anymore!

5. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    They seem to always leave this green clud in teh water as soon as u toss them in. First time I used them I ran out and then went to regular nightcrawlers and they didnt get touced :eek:oooh: . I used them again the other night I was catching channels while the 4 freinds with me got skunked. maybe luck, but if these results hold up I will continue to pay the exta $2 a dozen for the Nitro worms

6. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    tHERE IS A PRODUCT YOU AD TO YOUR WORM BOX THAT GIVES A GREEN COLOR i HAVE SEEN IT IN SOME OF THE MAJOR CATALOGS.

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    There seems to be two discussions going on here.
    1) Nitro worms: These are Canadian Nightcrawlers that are placed in bedding that is mixed with a coulouring agent. When the crawlers consume the bedding, they turn green. Nothing is any differant about them, their texture, their smell, how long they keep remain the same. The only differance is that they can be seen in the water much better than the typical worm.

Catfish like worms period. Adding a more visible colour especially in deeper or muddy water is a plus.

2) Green River Worms: Green worms are worms that are found in the midwest that are not as large as night crawlers , but closer to the size of red worms. They are green in colour, and they STINK real bad. They can be found near creeks and rivers by digging in mud or sandy muck. Most guys who find them will not disclose their location.
    Here is some more info on the GRW.
    Sparganophilus, the only genus in the family Sparganophilidae, is a group of long slender limicolous (mud-dwelling) earthworms native to Northamerica There are an unknown number of species, most of them undescribed, throughout the continent and into Central America. One species, S. tamesis has been introduced into the streams of Europe where it is now widespread.
    Sparganophilus species are characterised by a simple gut with no gizzard and no thphlosole.They are true earthworms, having a complex vascular system with capillaries and having the male pores far behind the female pores. They were at one time placed in the earthworm family Glossoscolecidae but at present are considered to constitute their own family.
    Sparganophilus species are commonly found in mud next to rivers and streams. They feed in the low oxygen mud and organic material, but with their highly vascularized posterior region on or near the surface.
    Sparganophilus has no accepted common name.
    (Well, thats not true now is it? We call them "Green River Worms"!)

Now you have worms that catfish love, colour they can see better and stink to bring them in.

It don't get any better than that.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've seen the packages of the mix to add to the worm bedding on e-bay.Not sure how much,but you can find it there.Some places also will give you a sample if you buy boxes of worms from them.

9. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    my question to you is can you buy them and if so do you have any idea if it is legal to transport them to the north i have fished with them in Tenn many times and caught my biggest channel on them 30lb any info would be great thank you

10. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

We have the nitro worms here Don. Every party store and bait shop down this way sells them.

11. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Not the green night crawlers the Little stinky worms

12. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    As far as I know, there is no one on earth that sells Green River Worms.
    Sounds to me like there is a market right here on the BOC.
    Anyone up for worming?

Since these worms are hard to find, I would imagine that if someone were to sell them, they would be so much higher than Canidian Nightcrawlers that most of us would not be willing to pay it.

Canadian Nightcrawlers can be obtained almost anywhere in abundance.
    Green River Worms requires a lot of digging, a lot of scouting, not to mention the time and the gas just to get to where they are.

I would say 20 bucks a dozen would be about right!
    Now if enough of you good ole boys are willing to pay someone to do your dirty work for you, I may consider quiting my day job!

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have sev. places I can get them,anybody wanna buy some??? :roll_eyes:

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

15. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have only seen the nitrious worms in one place and VA and they close when it rains. I am so hooked on the difference in results that I now stock up just incase there is rain in the forcast and the BOOTLEG BAITSHOP is closed.

GO GREEN WORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

if i could get someone to pay me that much for them i would dig them up everyday,green worms are great bait,the real ones that is not the nightcrawlers witha dye job

17. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    there's a injection they do to worms to make them glow aswell
    either buy the worms with it or inject it yourself
    ( in the worms not yourself) hahahahahahahahahhahahahaha
    :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2:

18. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

its not the color of green worms that make them good bait its there weird smell that makes them powerful bait,

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

so where did all the green worms guys go?for a sec. i thought i might have found another job. lol lol

20. bigkatking

bigkatking Member

State:
    ky