Green turkey livers

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by unclebuncle, Mar 26, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    If you forget about turkey livers in your trunk for 4 or 5 days and they turn a funny green and are bubbling are they still good bait.The only thing I ever used them for was to put under my brothers seat,but that usually came back to haunt me.

2. ks catman

ks catman New Member

State:
    kansas
    I left some chicken liver in sooner1s/bo trunk last year in 90degree heat :smile2: he foundem about a week later along with a creek chud stuck to the carpet under the seat :smile2:

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    If I am fishing an area that crawdads sre thick I drop in where it makes for easy pickens to grab a couple for bait. Or just chuck it in the area I am fishing and hope it helps if the bite is slow.

4. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    They are about the best thing I can think of for getting a knot on top of your bald head if used properly on your brother...:wink::sad2::tounge_out::crazy::eek:oooh::angry:

5. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Works good with grandpas and beef liver too. :eek:oooh::wink::smile2:

6. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I buy it bulk 40 lb cases frozen.It's dirt cheap I just thaw the case and put it into 1 gallon ziplocks and refreeze them. Last summer it was real hot and we were clobbering the channel cats. We went through 3 1 gallon bags catching surfacing channel cats. I always drop the bags in the livewell in my bassboat frozen if I need to thaw them quickly.When I got home I pumped the water out of the livewell and next time I took the jon boat. I didn't realize there was still an entire 1 gallon bag of turkey liver in the livewell.2 weeks later I opened the door to the shed and the smell knocked me to my knees.I got the bag out full of maggots and dropped it in a half full bucket of soybeans maggots and all. It worked great for chum but boy it sure smelled.It took me 2 hours to get the smell out of my livewell.

7. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Where would I find turkey livers in bulk around Manhattan? Or if you don't
    know about my small spot in the world, where did you find them around
    where you live, Eric? Also, what did they cost you? The store that I would
    find them occasionally changed hands and now I can't find them in small
    amounts. Might as well use the storage space in my big freezer for bulk
    turkey livers, since my wife seems to think we shouldn't buy enough
    food to feed us for longer than three weeks at a time.

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Not those kind of turkeys, silly boy.

10. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Any grocery store around Thanksgiving or XMas will have them. go to your meat department and ask for the head honcho a few weeks before the holidays. Minnesota bait shop has had them in the past {not last year though] Cargill, a good KS company based in Wichita used to carry them if your local store does biz with them you might be able to order them. I had to pay 1$ a pound at MInnesota but I usually get them around .50 cents a pound. I got 'em last year at McGonigles grocery store on Ward Parkway in KC MO. Go to your local grocer or butcher shop and see if they can order them. Offer them some catfish fillets for their trouble.I think I paid 25$ for a 40 lb case.

11. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Several years ago a guy told me he bought his chicken livers from Go Chicken Go. You used to be able to go in there and get a large 32oz cup clear full of raw chicken livers for $2 bucks. Not sure if they still do this or not. I haven't bought any in probably 3 or 4 years. They seemed to stay on the hook better than the ones from the grocery stores and worked just as good. Not as much blood though. But that never seemed to bother the channel cats!

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Go Chicken Go still does that Geoff. We used them last year. :wink:

13. story teller

story teller New Member

State:
    illinois
    I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT TURKEY LIVER.........HUMMMMM SOMETHING NEW TO TRY. THANKS FELLAS.

14. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Turkey livers much tougher than chicken.