Green Tomato Vines

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by vlparrish, Jun 14, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I love the smell of green tomato vines. I was just wondering how everyones gardens are doing? I was just out there putting my tomato vines back into the cages. Myself, I have tomatoes about the size of tennis balls. The squash has bloomed and will be ready to pick within the week. I have had several messes of Kahle greens and need to pick it again. My snow peas are blooming and will be ready to pick within 7 to 10 days. My green beans are about ankle high. My bell peppers are in their first bloom. My cabbage is the size of softballs. Of course my mellon vines are small and it will be a while on them. Vern

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    My snow peas and lettuce are done! Still have cilantro and I have tomatoes like tennis balls also. One beefsteak plant feeds family all season and I have two others as well. I have cucumbers every night with dinner. The tai peppers are showing and I seen my first habenero. Onions and garlic are doing good also. The green beans seem slow this year. Also have lemons and almonds, had one orange on orange tree but it fell off:sad2: I love the smell of my garden and healthy earth!

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I only have 5 tomato plants; 3 are the Better Bush type, & 1 is Better Boy. Those are about 5 feet tall, & loaded with greenies! The Better Boy has already out-grown it's cage, & is laying over the cyclone fence behind it. I have 1 other small tomato I got from a friend at work, but not sure what type. She started it from seed, so it's only about 18" tall. It'll be my late plant. I have 6 pepper plants;2 jalapenos, 2 bananas, 1 bell pepper, & 1 "mystery" pepper.(It's not what I thought it was, but it looks hot!) I, too like the smell of the tomato vines, especially right after watering,or a good rain shower. And I LOVE the smell of the fresh dirt! Just diggin' in my little patch is like therapy for me!

4. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I have about 70 tomato There starting to get Tomato's on them. Cumber are doing good . And my pepper plants are gettting peppers on them. Green onion are doing good almost have give them all away and my corn is about knee high.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    My maters are doing great. Fried some green maters tonight:wink: I love the celebrity and got severl 100's cerries. They are bout 6 ft tall. Strawberries are awesome. Got them giant Seqoias. Getting bout a dozen a day:wink: all my herbs (cilantro, basil, spearment ect...) been harvesting for a while. Chives, green onion, garlic are doing great too. Now my chili's have just taken off after I dealt with the snails:crazy: I got some Fresno, anaheim, big bells, and hobernarao's and will be picking some of the Fresno chili in bout a week. My squash is loaded and spreading like the bird flu:eek:oooh:
    Man those green maters where excellent! Not as good as my mom's, but perty darn close. She would been proud:big_smile:

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Hey Robb dice up a bit of habanero and some jalapeno and mix that in with your green maters some onion and fresh garlic and a bit of cilantro oh man yum.

7. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    OUr tomatoes are kinda small, but we planted 'em late. And they got a ton of blooms on them. We got some jalipeno's that aren't doin' too bad and we'll be pickin' off of them here in maybe a week. Our squash is probably doing the best. We got a ton of little ones forming in all the plants, and more blossoms keep comin' up. It ain't a big garden, but its my garden. And I'm proud of it.

-Red

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Heck yea....I will check that out mutt:wink: My taste buds are excited:cool2:

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, you guys are kill'n me! We started with to much rain,and that slows the plants way down. But even in a perfect year our garden crops aren't half ready this early. All thats available is green onions and lettuce. This talk about juicy red ripe tomato's and squash and peppers and cucumbers is driving me insane! :crazy: Da rool Da rool , lol

10. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    My garden is growing, but in N E Ohio we get a late start. My potatoes
    are about 2 ft tall and the broccoli is almost ready to pick. We need some
    rain...I've had to hand water the broccoli to keep it from bolting. We have
    plenty of onions and beginning the second harvest of lettuce. My garlic is
    thriving in my raised beds. My tomatoes have 2 to 3 inch fruit but it will
    be a while before we have any ready. I have picked 3 gallons of strawberries for freezing and need to pick today. My peppers are slow,
    due to the lack of rain, with this kind of weather the peppers should be
    quite hot. It is supposed to reach 90 here today, with high humidity so
    I will have to stay inside. My cucumbers are vining and should produce
    in a few weeks.

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Wet early then turned off bone dry, but its raining right now . Got 50 mater plants, should have the first ripe ones in a couple of days, corn is starting to make ears, usually pick it around the 4th of July, the wife has canned a lot of green beans already and made two batches of kraut, The cabbage was the biggest and best we ever made this year, but I picked the last one this morning. Onions all pulled and hanging and we picked up the Irish potatoes two weeks ago. Had a problem with our squash plants getting some kind of rot in the roots all spring, plant would be doing fine then go to die'n, would end up dead and when you pull it up the root would be rotten and all mushy.