Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any studies about Largemouth Bass prefering Green Sunfish to Bluegill as forage? I have a large inground "goldfish" pond with 5 bass, 3 crappie, 3 channel catfish, 1 bullhead, 1 longnose gar, and depending on feeding... 30-40 assorted bluegill/greens/redbreast etc.

The bass eat ALOT so I am constantly throwing fresh small bluegill and greenies in to feed them. Watching them I have noticed that my bass will ignore bluegill of seemingly ideal size to eat larger green sunfish. Often I watch them swim past the small bg to try to pin a greenie in a corner. Of course if they are really hungry anything goes, but if the bg survive the initial hunger driven attacks they quickly become ignored by the bass. The bass will wait for me to throw fresh greenies in instead of chasing the small bg.

I dont know if its the greenies tendancy to freak out around the bass that triggers their prey drive, the anatomy of the greens that make them more suited to be swallowed easily, or a combination of the two.
Why do ya'll think?

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,366 Posts
I'm not sure but I suspect they do have a preference. That's cool that you can watch that in your pond. I too have noticed in small clear fishing ponds that the bass will chase greenies or pumpkin seed bream more so than bluegill.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fed them again this afternoon and watched very small bg swim right by my biggest bass as greenies hid from him. A couple of small bass and the big crappie struck at the small bg but didnt get eat them. Their sharp fins must be better. After watching 4 or 5 bg being ignored I wondered if maybe the biggest bass wasnt hungry so I put a huge creek chub in and he attacked it immediately, chasing it everywhere until he caught up and ate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts