green sunfish or bluegill

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 13, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i like them green sunfish better than bluegill, who agrees,wen i say the green sunfish i mean them ones withy the bluedots around the gills and look like a smallmouth bass

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Greenies all the way...I am starting to like the hybrids between bluegills and greenies, they get huge!

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Jake, Around here I like the green sunfish (perch or Black perch) better for Flatheads but in a lake it don't matter to me they seem to both work the same does seem that the blue gills die faster then the green sunfish on a hook an even in my bait tank.

Might be that there are green sunfish in the rivers here an not very many if any blue gills in the rivers.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If I can't get bullheads, I'll go with the green sunfish. We call them black perch here.

5. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    The green sunfish seem to work better than bluegills, or redear or any of them for big blues here. The only thing I have found better than the green sunfish is fresh cut shad, and not always are they better.

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Green sunfish live 10 times longer and stay much more lively but they are rare round here. I usually catch 1 to ever 20 Bluegill.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea they hang out inthe rocks,if you can i like to get the big ones but they dont get as numaras as bluegill, never seena green sun bluegill hybrid, post a pic of one if you got it,i love them greens they just wont die, but bluegill are just as good if the water aint to hot seems the heat kills them,they need more oxagen than the greens, thaqts why they die on your hook them gills get put to death in hotwater that lacks ox

8. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Green sunfish for live bait any other use for cut bait.

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    greenie any day of the week. its probaly the only bait i can use and catch flatties at any point of the season.

10. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I got my pb on a redear sunfish,so I like those.Althogh my second pb was caught on a tilapia.As long as I have 20 large lively natural baits,Im ready for a nights worth of flatheadin!!!!Either blugills,redear,tilapia,bullheads,or carp.And if all else fails I hope the bait store has big goldfish as they are usually 2-3".I want my baits around 6"+.

11. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like war mouth or what we call Goggle eye. The green sun fish work OK as well as blues gill. Goggle eye are not as plentiful but they last the longest on the hook and it seems the whisker daddy's like them over any other.:roll_eyes:

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Greenies are 100% better than bluegills but I will take whatever I can get to bite.:smile2:

13. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I care more about where my bait is than what the bait is. Both are natural prey of flatheads, problem solved. I do agree that green sunfish are more durable and lively on the hook.

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agee with all the above never had warmouth, there not native here only in ponds

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I will use just about anything that is live bait and the size of my hand. Around here the warmouth or rockbass is a game fish and illegal to use. I prefer a big lively bluegill....or a big redear.:crazy:

16. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My #1 choice for live bait for Flats, blues & channels is the Green Sunfish Why do I like the Green Sunfish so much for my area of Kansas City? The Green Sunfish is the most common fish in Kansas or Missouri. I can't prove it, but I believe their slimmer profile (vs. a bluegill) makes them 'slightly' more likely to be eaten by some of the smaller cats. I glad I'm not the only one that likes "greenies", and they also stay alive pretty well. Yes, they are a little harder to catch. As some have already said they hide in the rocks alot. Sometimes I catch them in a foot of water or less. If anyone is in the Kansas City area, you may want to visit Railrod Park on 7 highway in Blue Springs, Missouri. The small pond there is absolutely loaded with tons of greenies. It's pretty easy to catch plenty of bait in a very short time. Another place to try (if you are in the area) is C. Lee Kenagy Park in Raytown, Missouri (near 79th St. and Raytown Rd.). It is a small pond (1-2 acres) but has loads of stunted bluegill. A small piece of worm and you can catch a lot of bait in a hurry.

Ralph

17. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    ill take any one of em,but do have my preferences like the warmouth, or the shellcracker, they seem to stay alive alot longer than bluegills do, and a lot more spunky in the water.

18. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Green sunfish all the way! I have it pretty easy, with a creek down the road that's filled with em'. It's nothing to catch 25 in a half hour.

Attached Files:

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its weird there not hunters they ambush fom rocks, i get em realy shalow, seemes they get more hits also, than bluegill, but i will load up on both,just got a new 42 pounder on my avatar today off them greens, never seen a green gill hybrid

20. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most of the time when we are catching baits at the lake shore....we catch a wide varieties of baits actually. I like to use wax worms on a 6 wire hook. I usually catch Small Bluegills, large Bluegills, small sunfish, medium sunfish, Bream, red breast, redear sunfish(shell-crackers) bullheads, Rock bass or warmouth, wild shiners 8-12" long and with a sabaki rig can usually catch a few skipjacks too. So we usually have plenty of fresh baits of all sizes to fish with. Heck, catching baits is half the fun. It really comes together though when a biggun' takes the bait.:cool2: