Green river worms wanted

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by trey5569, May 22, 2007.

1. trey5569

trey5569 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    does anybody sell green river worms not the green nightcrawlers but thr stinky green river worms

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    that ya have to go to the river and dig em up on the banks. I was told that you can tell where they are because of all the little holes that you see in the mud of the river bank! Me personally, I just don't have the courage to go dig them because I'm afraid of getting into quick mud which can be extremely dangerous so i've never attempted to get them. As far as selling them is concerned I have not heard of any bait shops selling them! Sorry!

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

How far up in WV are you? I've already dug about 8 or 10 dozen this year and know of some great spots around Catlettsburg,KY to dig them. Let me know and we can meet up if you're close enough.

4. trey5569

trey5569 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    i live in parkersburg west virginia and would be very interested i am about an 1 1/2 from huntington time is no issue

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

OK,you're about 2 hours from Catlettsburg then. I could get all you want but me personally am unable to dig them. I go with my Cuz and he will do the digging and i'll sit and break up the clods and pick all the little ones out. Most of them are red worm size but you can find them up to night crawler size. A couple weeks ago we went and got 6-8 dozen in about an hour. They were all various sizes. I can't guarantee you'll get them like that every time but every time i've went i've gotten some at least.
    Let me know when and we'll meet up and get a bunch. I'm out also and need to stock up. I'm going to a huge tourney in a week or 2 and need a bunch!

6. trey5569

trey5569 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    sound great you tell me when. needs to be on the weekend though well not really i will call off for a lesson in green worms
    thanks trey

7. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    dude from parkersburg to cattletsburg its like 3 1/2 drive...use to hunt in fairplain area. and lived in barboursville by the mall and it was a 2-1/2 hr dr.

8. trey5569

trey5569 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    i am 40 minutes to charleston and can travel to huntington in about 45 or 50 minutes i dont always obey the speed limit beeen traveling to huntington for four years to college could do it in my sleep
    \

9. purebonewv

purebonewv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    what excatly are green worms i've never heard of them someone please explain them to me i live close to point pleasant along the ohio river.:0a28::0a31::0a21::confused2:

10. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Hey guys if you dont mind I would like to go! I live in Ironton and work in Huntington so lets get together, Im going fishing next saturday and need some before then. heck yall can go fishing with us if you want.

11. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I get river worms down here in Louisiana the way my dad taught me. You get some Lime Sulphur from a plant nursery. The main brand I've found it in is "Hi-Yield". You mix about 3 tablespoons in a gallon of water. A couple days after a good rain you can see the mounds of dirt/poop they make. Pour about 3 ounces of the mixture on each pile you find and wait about 3 minutes and they'll be laying on top of the ground. The lime sulphur creates a gas in their chambers that they can't stand, they lay on top of the soil or enough of their body comes out that you can pull the entire worm out. If it hasn't rained in a week or more they're probably too deep for the lime sulphur to penetrate. Anyways, you just pick them up and they'll stay alive as long as you maintain moisture and don't put too many of them together. I can keep about 100 in about 3 gallons of soil for quite awhile. I normally dig up a half bucket of whatever dirt I got them from to keep them in.

The worms I'm talking about run between 6 and 10 inches long and have a sticky kind of sweet smelling guts. If you get the guts on your fingers it sets up like cement when dry. Hope we're talking about the same kind of worm. If anyone else has heard of this techinque please let me know because I've never heard of anyone else doing it. I swear it works.

12. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    man i had thoes same worms kinda got a yellowish look to them and got a real sticky snot like stuff on them those where the best worms iv ever used how big of holes are the worms making yer talkin of puting sulfer down and the green river worms we call them buzzard worms round here

13. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Can someone find a picture of these? I can't seem to find one.

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

we dig them out of the river banks around here buy the hundred they used to sell them here along time ago but the stuff in them will really tear up your eyes

15. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana

It's not really a hole, it's more like a small pile of stuff. I think they call it worm castings.

16. brakeless1

brakeless1 New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ky.
    around here green worm's are about the size of red worm's but are a little more curly or kinked looking bodie's and when you tear one open it is a smell you will never forget and look's like puss from a infected sore. you mostly find them in moist dirt like river bank's,bottom of hole's or in ditch bottom's. usualy alway's shaded and realy moist dirt.
    Hope this help's you some.

Mike B.