Green Light

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by justwannano, Feb 14, 2009.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I bought 1 several years ago (clearance aisle Wal Mart) and never used it.
    I'm mostly interested in river fishing with it but if you have any experience with one at all lets hear about it.
    have a good one
    just

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    what's a green light?

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just ran on to this thread,and was wondering the same thing. I thought all Walmart had was Blue Light specials.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol nice one,not bad for a gordon fan:wink:

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks,I consider that a compliment! Let's see,are you a Stewart fan,I can't remember to be truthful.

6. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I use it for lighting the boat. About 8' of inch and a half conduit to get it up to keep the bugs away. Works great.

7. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    No No No thats Kmart that has the blue light specials.

The green light is used to draw baitfish to your area at night. And you guys know what follows the bait fish.

I've seen them used or TV shows for stripers IIRC. But it was in lakes I think.
    Anyway its a small green 12 volt fluorescent lite that is in a waterproof cylinder weighted on 1 end.

I'm just wonderin if anyone has used them on rivers for cats.

Hi Glenn. Hows it goin?

Have a good one
    just

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i have one and it works great. draws in the baitfish and the gamefish show up not long after. hooked into some nice fish while using it. caught some and lost some but it works.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah im a stewart fan.Gordons a good driver i just like to give folks a hard time:wink:

10. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    So I assume you put these suckers in the water? Would one of those green cycalume chemical glowsticks do the same thing, you think?

I have also heard that light is not good for cats---do these things scare the cats away? Just wondering.

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Doggone it, I knew it was one of those Marts that had those "Blue Light Specials."
    I'm doing alright just. Are you going to make it down this year to go fishing on the mighty Mississippi?
    This weather straightens out get hold of me and we'll see if we can put a couple in the boat.
    Later,
    Glenn

12. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    I sure hope I can get down there this year.
    I sure could use the lessons.
    Sounds good.
    cya
    just

13. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    have caught channels and flatheads near the light and had a flattie in the 20+ pound range eating bait fish right against the light itself.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Folks around here fish under lights at night, mostly for sand bass in the summer.

I've always wondered if the blues don't hang around under all of the carnage, just above the thermocline, and feed on cripples.

Gonna take one of those green light thingies out and test drive it, come July.

15. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I've used the sinking lights, and they draw the bait fish well. I always use one, at night, when lake fishing for channels, stripers, or crappy. I have no experience with one in a river, but it should work fine. The fluorescent models draw much less electricity, than the halogen bulbs.

16. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yes you drop them in the water.
    As far as your other 2 questions ---Don't know.
    Let us know about the chem sticks.
    I'm guessing that if there are bait fish there are cats but I just don't know. Thats why I started this thread.

I'm thinking it would be a great way to catch bait also.
    Maybe an umbrella drop net.
    Have a good one
    just

17. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My wife just ordered me 2 22" green lights for my birthday. I will be trying them out all spring and summer.:smile2: I will let you know about my results.

Brian

18. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Well good for you

:smile2:lol I think lol:smile2:
    Don't blame me if it don't work.lol:smile2:
    the best 2ya
    just

19. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I hope you can make it down I can meet you. I don't know about giving any lessons. I think we can probably catch a fish or two though.
    TTYL,
    Glenn

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yes green lights work, but......so do regular white crappie lights that float. I catch my herring/shad at night and we now just use regular lights. The green is just a gimmick to sell it , saying it penetrates the water more...bla, bla, bla.

Bottom line, if there is baitfish around, they will come to any light in or on the water at night . Just look at the bait catchers , they might be using sodium's but they sure aint green ; )