Green light fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by agcat, Feb 9, 2006.

1. agcat

agcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Has anyone ever fished at night using green lights?

2. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Only attached to my bobber or rod tip.

ETA: Post number 100, woohoo!
    And 142 rep points, that's nearly a point and a half for every post. Not too shabby, eh?

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I been reading about the green sumersible lights to attract bait. I intend to get one soon and try out at my dock! I will post a review on it soon! From what I have read they work very well. I would really like to know if there really is a difference in the light color effectiveness. If the green works so well, why does the same company sell the white ones for the same price (20-25 bucks)?

4. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I bought one a while back. I used it once off a crappie house. I had hundreds of shad swimming around, but didn't catch any large fish. It did attract the bait fish though.
    Jim

5. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I could never really tell much difference.They all seem to draw in the baitfish.But it might depend on the water color clear-murkey, on how effective they are.

6. JRS

JRS New Member

State:
    Lufkin,Texas
    I just finished building one out of a 4' florescent buld. Can't wait to try it out.

7. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    could you explain how you built it

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Good ??? I think it's just like everything else,the more colors they have the more they can sale. In water light is light what shows up is UV not colors.JMO

9. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    I would LOVE to try this but it is against the law in my province. (Ontario, Canada)

10. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I have one. I bought it mainly because they said it wouldn't attract bugs. It attracts plenty of bugs and works well as a submersible light and also for using to see by when catfishing. I don't know if the green is any better than white. Maybe the softer glow doesn't spook the fish or something. Anyway, I like it.

11. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    I cut a piece of PVC pipe to fit over my back seat pedestal and attached the green light to it when catfishing so that the light shines in one direction and not in my eyes.

Attached is a drawing of how I made it.

Attached Files:

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    not sure about the green, but I AM planning on purchasing a submersible light for night fishin. If it attracks nothing other than shad, at least I'll be able to get a bunch of bait

13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have several green lights. I have really enjoyed them and even sent one down to my cousin in lousianna to use in the bayou and ocean. I find that a bit of chum and the light really attracts the minnows. Soon there water is teeming with all species. I used to fish a dock with submerged lights and the walleye caught were impressive. I like it because you can watch the fish and move your bait around to the levels that the fish are feeding at. Mine takes a lot of weight to sink so bring along some heavy weights.

14. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That should be a deadly combo!

It should bring in tons of bait fish and then, even bigger fish. Remeber to use the fish that is attracted to the light!! (Following the rules of your DNR!!)

15. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I think I'm starting to see the light. I'll have to get one and try it around our dock. TDawgNOk has a good point that if nothing else it will bring in bait fish to be caught for use later.

16. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i think they are great for crappie fishin, but when catfishin, i prefer not to have any light shinin on or in the water. brings up the old argument. do catfish shy away from light?

17. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    I've caught catfish under light while crappie fishing.

When I'm catfishing, The bait is usually 30-50 feet deep and 50 feet or more downstream from the boat. I doubt a catfish could see any light on a boat under those conditions.

18. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I just recieved my light yesterday...still winter here. I have never used
    one, but my son fishing with his buddy last fall brought home some
    decent cats. I know the theory is good because we used to fish from
    bridges hanging lanterns close to the water and netting shad from under
    and around the light, the catfish were just two to three feet under the
    shad feeding...caught a ton this way.

19. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    Green light will travel underwater 5 times futhers than white light, therefor its going to attract more plankton, and in turn more bait fish.

20. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    The sole purpose of the light is to attract plankton. Its not the light that attracts the bait fish, its the plankton thats attracted to the light, that attracts the bait fish. (if that makes any sense) lol