Green Horn at lake don pedro

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by THE REVEREND, May 15, 2007.

1. THE REVEREND

THE REVEREND New Member

State:
    ca
    Just happened to find this site and hope some of you fellas can help.
    I and the family are planning to go to lake don pedro for the first time this weekend. I myself would like to fish for cats while I sneek off at night but again I never been there before so is there any place you could suggest?? I heard the salmon & bass are there but I like the peace & quiet of night. I do have a boat but would raather just fish off the bank.
    Thanks in advanced
    THE REVEREND

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Eddie! I don't know anything about the lakes in California, but I'd like to say welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you :smile2:!

3. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC bro.

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC Eddie. I know nothing about fishing Don Pedro But there are a few Brothers in that part of the state so keep checking back. I'm sure you'll get an answer to your inquiry.

5. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Welcome Reverend to the best website around, I too am from California but I'm in southern Cal. I've never heard of Don Pedro, what part of California is that lake? I'd suggest that if this your first time fishing this lake to check in with the local bait shop to see if they can suggest any good spots and what baits are working for cats. I might also suggest to not hunker down in one spot for too long, move around the bank and go find the cats. I wish I could help you out more, good luck!

6. THE REVEREND

THE REVEREND New Member

State:
    ca
    I guess I forget to state where the lake is. It's in northern cali about 2 hours nw of san jose. Your right I'll hit up a few of the local bait shops & se what they have to say. Thanks again
    Reverend

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Brother....Welcome to the BOC. I have not fished that part brother. I am in central cali. I will do some checking, so give me this evening and I will get ya some good info.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Welecome to the BOC.... I have spent one night, and part of the day fishing at Don Pedro.. My brother Al was doing a construction job near the lake and told me to check it out as the locals where he was staying said that it was good fishing... I camped near the launch ramp at the East end of the lake near where they have a house boat rental area. I had been checking out several other lakes in the area on a 5 day "check em out" outing. I fished from my boat and got LM bass, and trout as I went up one of the rivers that comes into the lake. I did not try for cats, but I understand that it is quite good. On the back of one cove where the river comes into it, I saw a rather large fish some 3-4 feet long and seemed to be shaped like a sturgeon. I can say this as the water was only 4-5 feet deep and the water was "gin clear" as I was trolling into the head waters that come into the lake.... Went as far as I could before encountering riffles and larger rocks, where I fished for the trout that were everywhere hitting on rooster tails and "fat raps"

I would suggest that you take your boat and enjoy the lake.... Ask at the marina dock area to find out where to try for cats.... On the west side of the lake it is rather large, and that is where most of the water skiing is done.

Again, I got to the lake late in the afternoon, fixed my dinner, did some site seeing, and then launched early in the am... and did a quick look see, and left by noon, as I had one other lake to check out before leaving the area and heading back to the Los Angles area.....

From what I recall, and not having a map handy.... I'd say check out the area to the east as the west side is the windy side....

bayrunner ray