Green Bean Casserole

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by ozzy, Oct 28, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well its getting close to Thanksgiving and I like the traditional dishes. One of my favorites is green bean casserole. However I'm tired of the greasy canned onions and canned beans with canned mushroom slop in the oven for a spell dish. Whose got a better recipe this year?

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I prefer green beans almondine but i dont know how to make it.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    get ya some fresh green beans, cook them in a pot on the stove covered in orange juice. In a small skillet, melt some butter, add pecans, and a little brown sugar. For serving, remove the green beans from the orange juice and drizzle with the caramel pecan butter.

YUM

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Mike......here's a green bean casserole recipe I saved to try for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. The only packaged thing in this one is the dry ranch mix. Haven't made it myself yet, but I can't imagine it not being quite tasty.

Green Bean Casserole

1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
    3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups milk
    3 to 4 tsp. dry ranch-style salad dressing mix
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 1/4 pounds fresh green beans, cooked until crisp-tender
    1 cup fresh bread crumbs, toasted

1. To make white sauce, melt butter in small saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Using wire whisk, stir in milk; bring to a boil. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in dressing mix and white pepper, set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Remove half of onion mixture; set aside.

3. Add mushrooms to onion mixture remaining in skillet and cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Combine mushroom mixture, green beans and white sauce in 1 1/2-quart casserole. Combine bread crumbs with reserved onion mixture; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, about 20 to 30 minutes.

5. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Caned green beans can be good.
    Drain and rinse beans, while they draining cook some onion and garlic until onions are clear. It doesn't take much onion. 1/2 onion for 3 cans of beans.
    Put beans in large pot and heat to evaporate any remaining water. Add onions, and cover with chicken stock. Cook to the texture you like.